Chapter 15: The Impossible Dream

Being on a plane by herself turned out to be a bad idea for Grace

With the urgency of the mission, she had to go on her own to Spain and the others would meet her there.

But while she tried to get some shut eye on the overnight flight but she couldn't stop thinking about Klaus' untimely death.

His agonized face after setting himself on fire seemed to haunt her.

She couldn't help but thinking there was something bad about this next mission.

Grace loved her job but having second thoughts about certain missions was the worst part...and being the stubborn person she most likely wasn't going to tell anyone about it.

It made her wish Gretta was here. She had a way of making her calm—even if her daughter also had a pesky habit of reading people like a book.

On second thought, Grace was glad that Gretta was at least with other people, she wouldn't have to worry about her mom as much now. While Grace was on a commercial flight, the others were on a Bureau's private jet.

As Grace waited for the flight's safety instructions to begin and for everyone to get in their seats (not too many people were around, the flight was cheap for a reason), she received a text alert from Carmen.

New Message, From: Carmen Martinez

Carmen
Hey, Grace. Just wanted to make sure you're okay.

Grace
Hey Carmen, I'm okay. Flight should be departing soon. How's everything over there?

Carmen
Everything's fine here, we're about to depart too. Ingrid and Chief Ripley are going over details of the mission and catching Jack up on everything he missed.

Carmen is typing...

Carmen
Also...you don't have to worry about Gretta. She'll be just fine.

Grace
?

Carmen
[See photo attached]
I don't get how they can go from hating each other to...this!

Grace cracked a small smile at seeing the photo had Carmen had sent. Splayed over a couch on the plane were Elliot and Gretta, one of her legs hooked under his arm as she lied supine on the couch with Elliot curled up in a semi-ball. They both looked tired and were both clearly fast asleep, still as two logs.

Grace
It's a mystery to us all.

Carmen
Yeah...they seemed to be attached to the hip lately.

Grace
Carmen...

Carmen is typing...