Chapter 1: The Hero Comes Home

It was late by the time 17 year old Gretta Kemble returned home

It was to be expected when the girl did double shifts to support herself and her hard working single mother, Grace, but it didn't change the fact that it didn't suck.

It would suck less if she hadn't been fired today, putting her job score down to 1.

Something about job layoffs the restaurant said.

Gretta didn't mind much as she never enjoyed the job anyway (too many snooty coworkers and terrible bosses who did nothing but yell at her for things that weren't her fault). She much preferred her other job at the IT tech support place as it catered to her interest in computers.

She was just about to set her black backpack down, tired after a long day of work when she heard some shuffling in the kitchen.

Raising an eyebrow, she frowned seeing a bright light coming from the kitchen which shouldn't be on.

Did I leave the lights on this morning? She wondered as she grabbed her bag to hold up as a projectile on the would be intruder.

Gretta tried her hardest to not make much choice but combat boots on wooden floors was not the best combination.

She walked slowly down the hall, trying to calm her beating heart as the light from the kitchen shone on a few "trophies" Gretta's mom had received for her work in Grimsborough and Pacific Bay.

Finally, Gretta took a deep breath and swung open the double action door.

"Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!" A familiar voice called out, raising her hands in the air. Gretta visibly relaxed and dropped her bag on the ground.

"Geez, mom! You scared me!" Grace Kemble chuckled while stretching her arms out wide for a hug from her daughter.
"Sorry! Wasn't sure if you'd be back from work." Grace explains, squeezing her daughter with a big hug.
"I didn't know you'd be home." Gretta says as they separate, "thought you were on a case?"
"I finished the case earlier this afternoon. Then had all this paperwork to deal with." Grace rolled her eyes in annoyance and Gretta briefly smiles.
"More importantly, what are you doing home? Thought the restaurant didn't close til 12?"
"Yeah, it does. I got fired—you know, typical work layoffs." Gretta rolls her eyes as her mother frowns briefly.
"Hm...well you never liked that job anyway. Speaking of work...I uh, have some news." Gretta furrows her brows and straightens at the serious tone in her mother's voice.
"Okay...what is it?" Grace bites her lip and looks away from her daughter.
"Well, Gretta, I know that you hate doing this but—"
"We're moving again aren't we?" Gretta asks, glaring at her, "you always do this!"
"I know, I know. But I promise you'll like it this time!" Grace explains before Gretta can think of another argument.
"...why? Where are we going?"
"Well...someone was really impressed with my skills in Pacific Bay because um...I'm going to work for The Bureau now. Specifically in the U.K., the details will be coming in a few weeks." Grace watches her daughter's face as she digests the information.

Gretta's eyes widen in shock.
"Wait...The Bureau, as in the international law enforcement agency??"
"Yep, that's the one." Grace explains with a nervous smile.
"Why didn't you just start with that?! That's awesome!"
"Heh. Figured you'd like the surprise."
"Ah, I'm so proud of you!!" Gretta shouts excitedly, pulling her mother into a tight hug.

"Thank you, Gretta! Figured I tell you so you could be prepared. After all, I can't leave my precious pearl home alone for months on end can I? I'd miss you too much." Grace explains, smiling softly and being Gretta forward to kiss her forehead.
"Anyway...it's late. We should head to bed, yeah? Tomorrow we can go shopping for some clothes." Gretta nods and the two head up for a well deserved and good night's rest.

Author's Notes

Why, yes. I did make a title card because I'm extra like that—

No, but really. I enjoyed making it. Even if it was a pain to try and figure out how to get it the way I want it—I was very limited on colors but then I found that a shadow effect worked perfectly ^^

Also it was supposed to be animated but Wattpad didn't like that so it had to be a still -_-

Anyway, I hope you like Grace and Gretta's dynamic. I don't write single parents much so this should be an interesting experiment :)

Also fun fact, their last name Kemble is Welsh for "war chief" and Gretta (a nickname for Margretta) is Greek for pearl. Doesn't mean anything, I just thought it was neat :)

BatgirlGeek❤️