Ramsha came out running from her room and rushed into the bathroom and began to vomit. Shamim was using the handpump to draw water when he observed this.

"You're not keeping well these days. And why do you fast everyday when your health is so fragile. Come here, let me check," he said when he saw Ramsha coming out of the bathroom after washing her face.

"You've got such a high temperature. It's not normal." He said looking at the tired face of his sister and took her to his room and asked her to sit. Ramsha obeyed him.

He was searching something in a sack that was filled with medicines and ointments when she asked him, "brother, are you not having any meeting outside Jalandhar, as in Chandigarh?"

He put the sack down with a medicine in his hand and with one of his eyebrows raised he looked at her doubtfully, "well, no. Why are you asking this?"

Ramsha was hesitating and with a smile she said to him, "actually I had always wanted the input materials of women accessories. You know, it has been an age I've left making them. It'd also help me kill my free time."

His expression became normal and he agreed to her proposal, "yes, whenever I happen to pay a visit to Chandigarh, I'll bring them."

She felt relieved in her heart but not long as mother-in-law of Shamim had paid a two visit to his house. When she saw Ramsha leaving the room of Shamim she stopped her.

"Ah, wait girl. Come here."

Ramsha turned her face towards the old woman and smiled.

Shamim too came out and accompanied the women.

"What a glow you've got these days. Although you look sick but your face is reflecting the happiness of a good news. You should take care of your health beta. It's good that you're at your mother's house. Here people will take most care of you," woman said and walked with difficulty towards other areas of the house.

Shamim, shocked, looked at Ramsha in horror. Before she could explain anything, he dragged her into his room and shut the door from inside. A hard slap fell on her face that left the woman cry in agony, "bhaiya please don't raise your hand on me, it hurts..."

"It hurts? Really? Take this too," he said by slapping her even harder. "Whose sin is this?" He said grabbing his sister by her hair.

"Tell me you slut! Whose sin is this?"

Ramsha couldn't believe her ears at what had become of her dignity in his eyes.

He would take it this way? He cannot be my brother... not this animal... she thought.

"What are you doing to ruin my honor in this house? Who is that rascal! Tell me his bloody name!"

"Bhaiya! Enough. Leave me!" She said with flare in her eyes.

Shamim was set aback to see her reaction.

"He is my husband Shauqat and he is not a rascal. I've done no sin to ruin your honor. I already have two children with him and this is out third child. What's your problem?" She spoke fearlessly.

Shamim was shocked to hear this. He had never imagined that his meek sister would raise her voice on him with this intensity. Another thing that bothered him was Shauqat came to his house in his absence and also he had reconciliated with Ramsha and they were expecting a child.

"How dare he step his foot into my house in my absen..."

Ramsha cut him saying, "this is my house too and being my husband he is equally welcome here."

It was the height of tolerance Shamim could bear. He caught Ramsha mercilessly by her hair and dragged her out of his room. He kept her pulling like an animal until he reached her bedroom. He opened the door, threw her inside and locked the gate from outside.

"Now rot inside. Bastard."

Her cries had already created hustle in the house. Shamim's wife and her mother followed him to see what has happened. Also Ramsha's parents came along caught with fear.

"Shameless dog! You're showing your rudeness to your married sister! Is this for what we have raised you up?" said the old father angrily to Shamim to which the son retorted.

"Don't forget now you all are now living under my favor. So choose your side wisely!"

The old couple became dumb looking at each other and they couldn't help Ramsha come out of the room and breath.

"At least, open the door for her. She's sick," cried the old woman.

"Let her die, I don't care," came back the reply of Ramsha's brother who left for his room holding his wife's hand.

~~~~~~~

2 weeks later

Shauqat happily opened the door as he understood the postman was standing outside. His mother followed him as she was also waiting for Ramsha's letter as the whole family eager to take their homemaker back.

"Read what's written in the letter. It's from Ramsha na?" asked the woman.

"Yes Maa, she has sent this. I'm reading it," the man broke the envelope seal and started reading it. He stopped and become silent and was looking at her mother with shock.

"What happen Shauqat? What's written in the letter?" The old woman became desperate to know but the letter fell down from his hands and he left the spot walking swiftly towards his room.

The woman picked up the letter and adjusted her glasses on the nose when she heard Shauqat yelling in broken voice, "I'll come back when my family, comprising my wife and my children are with me and I tolerate no harm against them."

She understood the rest by reading the content on that piece of paper and sat on the floor declining.

"Now everything is up to you Ya Rabb! Please make things fall into places," she spoke in her prayers and wiped her tears with her saree's corner portion.

She had seen Shauqat in the state of anger, wildness, frightened but she had never seen him heart-broken. Not even when he learnt of Ramsha's absence when he came back from his brother's house. She walked softly towards his room, watching him packing his bag and taking every necessary thing into it.

"Son," she spoke.

"Hmm," he managed to utter something.

"Do you know this letter has reached Pathankot lately due to chaos in the neighbor towns."

"Yes, I know it. I've checked the date. But I'll reach to wife and children on time." He summed up his decision before his mother, making her breath on tosses of favorable and unfavorable outcomes.

~~~~~~~~