Ice Packs, Bruises And Kisses

CHAPTER THREE

ADELAIDE

The air is thick with tension. So much so that it can be cut with a knife.

Newt's focus is just on dabbing the ice pack on my bruised neck. No matter how much I tried to get that pack from him, he would slap my hand away and continue on dabbing my bruises. His jaw is clenched and I know that he grinding his teeth. His eyes are hard with understandable anger.

I sit quietly, trying so hard in him meeting my eye, but his gaze wouldn't move from my neck. I frown but sit quietly, not really wanting to face the heat of his anger.

Newt is always the calm and collected one but when he gets angry, he becomes really scary, he would yell at the top of his voice and it would really take me a lot of time and cajole to calm him down.

And of course, he is very stressed and disheartened. We all are. It just seems that everything we had done for months now, had been just a waste.

Of course we had saved a lot of kids. We had saved Sonya, Jocelyn and Aris but the person who mattered the most to all the Gladers, is still locked up in a WICKED compound, still being picked and prodded and tortured as a lab rat.

Minho is still not here.

And we are trying to busy ourselves with other things, so that we don't have to think about it.

But it is easier said than done. Minho is all that I can think about right now, how I've failed him.

When Newt is done with dabbing the ice pack on my bruises, he, wordlessly, hands me some pain meds and starts gathering the first aid box. When he gets up to leave, I quickly grab his wrist, tugging him back.

He doesn't look at me. "Newt, please." I croak, my voice still raspy.

"Come on, Newt. See? I'm fine. It's okay. It's just a bruise. It'll disappear in no time."

"Yeah, it will. But what about that bullet scar on your calf? Or about that scar on your face? Or-or that stab wound on your thigh? Or what about that time you came in with a broken shoulder? Huh?" Newt yanks his wrist back and looks at me with anger in his eyes. "I'm just done with all of this. I'm just done worrying about you, not knowing if you would walk back to me safe or not. I-I'm just done. I hate it. And-and today?"

His eyes fill with angry tears, breaking my heart into pieces. "You almost died. If-if Brenda hadn't noticed you-"

I cup his face. "Look, it's accident. Things like that happen all the time. And I'm still learning, in training. I won't get hurt as much, when I'm experienced."

"You won't get hurt if you would just sit it out! You won't get hurt if you don't have to jump into these bloody situations just for once!"

His anger instantly fades as he sees the look in my face. I take a step back from him.