Chapter Twenty-Five

Start from the beginning

 Not even having the strength to reply to him, I turned around and speed-walked away, or more accurately speed-limped, towards the doors to my apartment. I didn't make it as far as the stairs before a hand snagged the back of my shirt and pulled me backward.

 "Hold your horses; you're not climbing upstairs," Nathan snapped bossily.

 I scoffed and turned back to face him. "I hope you're not suggesting the elevator because I'm not sure about you, but I certainly don't want to be trapped again."

"Yeah, of course, I don't mean the elevator. I'm not stupid. I meant I'll...er.. help you up, you know, give you a piggyback ride or something," he mumbled rather quietly as his eyes darted around awkwardly.

 Stifling a snort, I raised an eyebrow. "You want to give me a piggyback ride?" I repeated, my mouth twitching slightly.

 "Yes, that's what I said. And before you start, spare me the, 'I'm a big girl Nathan, I don't need your help, blah blah blah'," he said imitating me, in an overly girlish falsetto voice while opening and closing his hand like a hand puppet.

I smirked and eyed him up and down. "Actually, Nathan, that wasn't what I was going to say at all. In fact, I'd quite fancy a free ride," I shrugged.

 "Seriously?" he said, lifting his eyebrows in surprise.

 "Yeah, you can be like my little donkey," I snickered. 

The hint of a smile that was forming on his face instantly dropped. "Just shut the fuck up, and get on already," he grumbled as his lips pulled together in an irritated pout. 

"Aww, Natalie, you always know how to sweet talk a lady, don't you?" I chuckled as I made my way over to him.

Not even giving him any warning, I grabbed onto his shoulders and launched onto his back. He let out a heavy grunt as I landed and quickly tucked his hands underneath my thighs to stabilize me.

 "Not struggling, are we?" I teased. 

He let out a rude snort and continued on his journey up the stairs. "Yeah, your matchstick build is really doing a number of me," he drawled sarcastically. 

Offended, I gave him a harsh slap to the back of his head. "I'm not sure who you're calling a matchstick, but it's certainly not me. I'm a fucking voluptuous, bitch, you asshole," I spat with a frown, feeling oddly protective over my curves. 

Nathan chuckled, and I felt the rich sound rumble against my chest. "You're easy to wind up, you know," he muttered with a light laugh. My frown etched deeper, realizing I had fallen right into his trap.

"Okay, you've officially pissed me off. You don't deserve to carry me anymore," I said sharply as I attempted to slide myself down.

 Nathan's hold didn't budge, and he gripped the back of my legs even tighter with the clear intention of not letting me go. 

"Why the hell are you so grabby for?" I huffed after five seconds of zero success. 

"I don't know, maybe it has something to do with the fact that we're climbing up the fucking stairs. Are you looking to have a second fall or something?" he drawled sarcastically.

I paused, realizing he had a point and that trying to wrestle out of his grip on the staircase probably wasn't the brightest of ideas.

Deciding to compliantly enjoy the ride, I let him carry me the rest of the way up to my apartment. Once we were outside my door, Nathan lowered me to the floor gently. I didn't miss how his hands skimmed around my waist briefly to ensure I was stable before moving away. I rolled my eyes at his clear overdramatic-ness.