"Yeah, I remember you being a moody loner even the teachers avoided," Lola stated as she clicked on the next photo. "How were you so popular yet so unfriendly." 

"It's a skill you have to be born with," He said winking at her and she rolled her eyes. 

"Please. It's just because you're good looking. The world's unfair like that."

"You think I'm good looking?" He asked and Lola froze. 

Did those words just come out of her mouth? What the hell was wrong with her? She wanted to smack herself and hide under the bed or jump into the pool. Or just die of embarrassment because Julian was smiling at her with a smug expression that she wanted to slap off. 

She ran a hand through her hair nervously and shifted in her seat. "I mean, you know. Good looking in a generic way. Like common." 

She was rambling and it wasn't looking pretty because he looked like he was going to laugh. 

"Whatever you say, Lola," He chimed in a sing song voice. 

"Come on, concentrate," She scolded him, even though the scolding was intended mainly for herself. 

They fell into a bout of silence, both busy looking through their list of suspects profiles and pictures. 

"Nothing," Julian sighed, looking as exasperated as she felt. 

Lola rubbed her tired eyes, unsure where to look now. She turned to her side to see Julian get up and fetch them two bottles of water. 

She took one from him and gulped down most of it, suddenly feeling thirsty and hungry. 

"Let's take a short break," He suggested and then he grabbed some snacks for them to munch. They tore open a bag of chips and dug into it, both evidently hungry. 

Lola leaned against the wall, watching Julian who was eating like someone who had been starved for days. She immediately felt guilty, realising he was in fact starving and living on scraps  before he ended up in her house. 

"What is it?" 

His deep voice snapped her out of her thoughts and she shook her head dismissively. 

"Nothing." 

"Come on. I can practically read the curiosity on your face," His dark blue eyes were almost black under the dim lighting. A lock of jet black hair fell across his forehead and he brushed it away brusquely, never breaking eye contact with Lola. 

"It's not a question. I was just wondering," She trailed off, not knowing how to continue. 

"About?" He pressed persistently. 

"About what it must have been like. After you were arrested." She bit her lip, half expecting him to shut down and grab a cigarette or snap at her. 

Instead he sighed softly. "It was hard, Lola. Feeling like the world was against me for no damn reason. Living day to day not knowing if I was going to survive or get caught again. It honestly sucked but nothing compared to the look in my mothers eyes when I was found guilty." 

He looked down and Lola's heart ached, she wanted to reach out to the boy in front of her and hug him but she was too afraid he might push her away.

"Is she, okay? I mean have you seen her around?" He looked up through glassy eyes and Lola instinctively reached for his hand. 

His hands were bunched together in fists and she gripped them tightly. She looked into his eyes, trying to appear strong even though his pained expression was breaking her from within.