Keeper Of Secrets

Start from the beginning

I don’t know if I’m the right person for her to talk about this with but I pushed myself up in the bed moving a little bit easier thanks to the medicine. “What are you afraid of? Is your mate a bad person?” 

She looks to me with big eyes and shakes her head, “No—at least he doesn’t appear to be. It’s just I’m afraid he won’t think I’m good enough.” She bites her lip. I understand her feelings completely as I had been rejected by David—I was surprised to find that I didn’t feel the familiar ache in my body when I thought of him. I waited a moment but when nothing happened I couldn’t help but feel a strange relief. After two years I was finally free from the burden of rejection. 

I told you that I would take your pain away Scarlett. It’s the least I could do for you’ Noah’s voice echoes through my head and I feel a strange fluttering in my stomach at his voice. I know my face grows hot and I quickly push through the strange feelings in my body, ‘Yeah but now I’m in pain because of you—what you did was wrong—forcing the bond on me. So don’t think I’m going to forgive you just because you saved me from David’s rejection.’  I thought back to him and he didn’t say anything more and I sighed feeling sadly disappointed for some odd reason. 

“Scarlett?” Jane calls me. 

I look to her shaking my head, “Sorry, you were saying?” 

“What if he rejects me?” She continues to bite her lip. I give her a reassuring smile, “I doubt he’ll reject you Jane. Only an idiot would reject their mate.” 

“I don’t know—I’m not a very strong or smart. He’s so popular and he’s so important to the pack. I doubt anyone would even notice if I wasn’t around.” She says her head hanging low. 

“You’re wrong. I would notice.” I say to her. She looks up at me with raised eyebrows, “You’re just saying that. You don’t even know me—“ 

“That’s true but then again you don’t really know me either.” I suggest, “You’ve been very kind to me since you met me Jane and you didn’t have to be. I think you just don’t give yourself the credit you deserve.” She seems to warm up at my words and I can since her wolf stirring proudly at my praises. I know this is the power of the Luna. She is supposed to look out for her pack. To protect and nurture them. 

I feel a warmth rush through me and I know that it’s coming from Noah. I try not to acknowledge him but I can’t help the butterflies in my stomach knowing that he’s proud of me. ‘You are going to be a wonderful Luna’ He says as if responding to my thoughts. I frown, Stay out of my head you creep! I shout at him before I forcibly close the door in my mind hoping to keep in out for a while. I didn’t like the fact that he could peer into my mind whenever he felt like it. I wanted my feelings and thoughts to be private, especially since he was a practically a stranger. I didn’t know anything about him other than apparently we were mates. 

I look to Jane when I saw her body tense up out of the corner of my eye, “What’s wrong?” I asked before there came a knock on the door. 

“Luna?” I heard Dane’s voice on the other side. Jane was looking at the door frantically before she dropped to the ground and to my amusement and surprise pulled herself under my bed. It didn’t take me long to put two and two together. I cleared my throat, “Yes?”