Chapter 2 On Board the Black Pearl

Start from the beginning

The tall pirate disappeared shortly returning with who I assumed to be Captain Barbossa, wearing quite a big hat with a monkey on his shoulders.

“And what do we have hear?” Barbossa asked gazing down at me, a hint of recognition in his eyes. He muttered, “Is that…?”

“This girl came out of the chest and said she wanted to speak with you,” a pirate explained.

Barbossa still gawked at me, awed. “Who are you?”

I smiled, trying not to appear too mischievous. “Don’t you recognize me?” I took in a deep breath before adding, “I am after all, your daughter.”

“Aurora, it really be you?” my father asked, bending down on one knee.

“I thought I recognized her,” the wooden eyed pirate declared.

“If you recognized her, Regetti, why didn’t you say something?” Pintel demanded.

“I wasn’t sure. It was a few years ago since we saw her last,” Regetti defended. “She was even smaller then.”

“What were ya doing in that chest,” Barbossa asked putting his hand on my shoulder. “Where be your mother? Does she know you’re out here?”

My mother? Why would he think I was with her? He should know very well where I have been.

I figured best just play along. “I ran away. I grew sick of living on land so I left her. I want to live at sea, with you.”

He turned his glance to my hands. “What’s that you got there?”

I held the map more tightly. “If you don’t mind, I’d rather discuss it alone.

Captain Barbossa beamed. “How can I be saying no to me own daughter. Lets go.”

He took my hand and led me to a room in the ship. We sat at the table across one, another. The monkey remained on his shoulder

“Well, I must say, Aurora,” my father began. “I never thought I’d be seeing you again, after the way your mother left. Do you remember?”

“A little.” The truth was the only thing I could remember about the last time I was on this ship was a lot of shouting between my parents, followed by my mother grabbing me and sailing off with me in the lifeboat.

“I still don’t understand.” Barbossa leaned back in his chair. “She left right after I became captain. I thought that be what she wanted. I’ll never understand that woman.”

She was probably upset about the deal he made with Davy Jones. I dared not say this out loud. However, I am still confused why he seems to be under the impression that I was with my mother. Perhaps he just assumed she made it safely to land with me.

“So tell me, Aurora, what’s that you got there?” he asked once again eyeing the map.

“It’s a map to the Aztec gold.”

His eyes lit up, shining down at me. “How did you come across such a valued item such a that?”

I smiled. “I am your daughter, am I not? Piracy is in my blood.”

“How bout I take a look at that map?”

I held it out. The monkey ran across the table, taking it, then gave it to Barbossa.

“Thank you, Jack.” Barbossa took the map examining it.

“You named your monkey Jack?” I asked curiously.

“In honor of our previous captain, Jack Sparrow,” he explained while still looking at the map.

Jack Sparrow. I had heard of him, but never had a chance to meet him. Davy Jones talked about him quite a bit, always saying that one day he will have Jack’s soul forever on the Dutchman. I am actually looking forward to that day. I’ve heard so many interesting things about Jack Sparrow, one being that after my father left him on an island, he escaped on sea turtles. Sea turtles! I have to meet this man.

I looked over to my father and asked, “So what so you say? Are we going after this treasure?”

“Aye, you bet.”

“Does this mean I will become a real pirate?” I asked eagerly perched up on my chair.

“But of course. You are the captain’s daughter after all, and you’ve found something more valuable than anyone here has. I can definitely tell you’re a pirate at heart, whether your mother likes it or not.” He stood up, walked over to me and took my hand. “Come, let’s tell the crew the good news.”

I followed him out to the main deck. I can’t believe how perfectly the plan is working. Since Barbossa seemed to truly think I have been with Mama this whole time, it was even easier to fool him. He did not suspect a thing. Davy Jones will be ever so proud when I successfully lead these pirates to the cursed treasure.

“Gentlemen,” Barbossa announced grabbing the crew’s attention. “How would you like to go find the Aztec gold?”