Chapter 6

Chapter 6

It was 6 and Faith still wasn't here. Alex nervously paced the room while Abigail and Adriana giggled while texting on the couch and eating pizza. A knock sounded at the door. I sprinted forward, grabbing my jacket and purse as I went. Instead of a short blonde-haired girl, a taller, paler and almost black haired guy made me drop my smile. Ben. He seemed uncomfortable, but he had nothing compared to Drew constant confidence. Alex was at my side in an instant.

"Ben, what a surprise!" she sang, practically pulling him into the house. He shrugged nervously playing with the zipper on his black jacket.

"I was going to the party and wanted to know if Alissa needed a ride," he replied, refusing to meet my eyes. I was about to tell him no, but thank you, when my cell phone rang. Peering at the number I noticed it was Faith. I took a deep breath and answered it.

"Alissa?" she shouted breathlessly. I rolled my eyes.

"Who else? What's up?" I asked back, starting to get suspicious why she was even calling me.

"Hey, I hate to tell you this, but I can't pick you up. Do you have a ride?" I looked over at Ben Townsend, inwardly debating. Deciding, I answered my best friend.

"Yep, I'll see you tonight?" I replied, almost feeling her nodding through the phone.

"See ya' in a little bit. Bye!" the line went dead, but not before I heard a couple of screams. For some reason it didn't bother me, it was a party after all. Alex was looking at me expectantly.

"Um, Ben? Would you mind giving me a ride?" I asked, "It sounds like Faith got hung up at S&S." It sounded awkward and stupid, but he didn't seem to mind. In fact, I think he relaxed a bit. What was going on here? Alex on the other hand was jumping for joy. This was the first time I had ever gone out with a boy, and the boy seemed to be one that she liked. Even though I was going to the party with one boy to talk to another. Life was getting weird.

After a few minutes of Alex gushing over us, we finally slipped out of the door and walked to his truck. It hadn't rained the remainder of the day, the air smelled crisp and sharp and it was beginning to warm up again since the wet weather. Outside was a little breezy, it was almost dark and the wind whistled eerily in the trees, making me shiver. Ben took my arm and guided me to his rig. An old patched up Ford with an enormous dent in the side was parked at the end of our driveway, I could only guess it was his. Because of the dent the door was wedged shut, and I had to climb through the driver's seat to reach the passenger side. We both sat in silence as he started the truck. With a little bit of coaxing the engine finally decided to start and we were off.

"Good school day?" he asked. I rolled my eyes, refusing to relax.

"You would know, you're in all my classes," I responded. It was his turn to roll his eyes.

"You got me on that one," he laughed and I couldn't help but to join in. My guard was down, I was actually relaxed. We were both a few seconds away from S&S laughing over something stupid, I could get used to this. Then he dropped the bomb.

"You and Drew huh?" I stopped laughing and started to frown. Out of everything he could have said, he decided to say that. So the whole school knew? I played it off.

"What makes you think that?" I replied. Ben cut the engine, and I realized we were already there.

"This," he pointed to a text on his phone. It was sent from Drew to Ben. You can't ruin this; it doesn't happen like this, not in a million years. Leave us alone. I'm watching. I handed Ben back his phone, face burning. He graciously helped me out of the car. This was so embarrassing. I didn't know what to say, so I didn't say anything. We walked in together, but I quickly pulled away from him as I stepped into the brilliant and dazzling room.