Chapter 5

Chapter 5

My alarm clock sounded way too early. I was so late Alex had to start the shower for me so it would be at least a bearable temperature. Forcing myself awake, I pulled on some jeans and a nice shirt Alex had picked out for me this morning. My homework in one hand and my shoes in the other I ran downstairs. Abigail and Adriana where long gone at a college class they were taking together. Adelaide still hadn't appeared; she must have left early to get everything set up and ready.

Being a lifesaver, my sister spread cream cheese onto a bagel for me while I hurriedly packed my bag. She frowned at her watch, and then quickly grabbed her coat and stuffed her feet into a pair of shoes.

"Come on," she urged, "I'll drive you today." That was a first. After I saved up enough money for a car I had been planning on commuting to school on my own. I was a step behind her running through a drizzle to her Mini Cooper. The rain picked up as soon as I slammed my door closed. Alex started the windshield wipers to full blast. Then the rain began pouring so hard I couldn't see the hood of the car. We sat in the driveway for almost fifteen minutes waiting for it to stop or even lessen.

School had already started, and I was missing biology, lucky me! As long as I didn't miss U.S. History I was fine. I couldn't miss my only class sitting next to Drew before the party. Our friendship had grown to the point where there were no awkward silences anymore. Even though if our fingers brushed we still looked at one another with curiosity. We hadn't talked of taking it further. Connor was still friendly, but he warned me several times Drew was bad news and that I should keep my distance. I hadn't spoken to him since then, so today was going to be super awkward.

My phone buzzed, it was Drew. Where are you? It read, are you okay? Should I stop by later? Alex didn't take her eyes off the road.

"Who is that?" she asked, seriously confused. I shrugged, why not tell her? Out of all my sisters Alex was the best at keeping secrets.

"A friend from school, Drew Perkins," I answered innocently. Alex frowned, her gaze still focused on trying not to get us killed. "What?" I asked. She sighed, and then shook her head. Silence continued between us. I used the opportunity to text him back. I'm fine. I woke up late and the roads are terrible; pulling into the school now. I hit the send button. Alex stopped to wait for traffic and turned to face me.

"Miss Alissa, be thankful Adelaide didn't come back last night, she would've killed you for this." She was flushed red, angrily jabbing a finger into the air. Adelaide still hadn't come home? How weird. That was a first; I now regretted telling her about the party in the first place. Alex was mad about Drew, I could tell. Adelaide hadn't said anything that made me think she didn't like him.

"Adelaide already knows, I told her about it. Drew and all." This seemed to make her even madder. She gave me a be-quiet look and hit the gas as the light turned green. We drove in silence once again until I slammed the front door shut and raced through the rain to the warm school.

By the time I finally arrived in 1st period, class was almost over. Drew didn't smile his usual bright smile whenever I saw him as I walked in and handed Mr. Dickens my tardy slip and took my seat. I eyed Drew worriedly, Faith who was sitting beside him smiled sadly back. They both stared at the cell phone held in Drew's hand. I decided to ask Connor what had happened when I noticed he wasn't there. Weird. Connor's friend sat in the front, glancing between me and Drew. The final bell rang making me jump. Drew dashed out without waiting for me, and I tried not to get discouraged. Faith took my hand, she was calm and collected, and squeezed it. That girl knew just what I needed.

Can I tell you gym without Drew is boring? Well it is. Today was the last day of volleyball practice before the tournament next week. We were both signed up together for a team, I wondered if it was still happening. I didn't know what I'd done to him, but it must have been bad.