Chapter 4

Chapter 4

                “How’d it go?” asked Adelaide, trying to sound calm.

                “Great,” I said, and I really meant it. I mean really, how many people get asked out on day one? Not many. Adelaide eyed me over, and then shook her head.

                “Mind if we head over to S&S for a few minutes? I know you probably have tons of homework, but it’s important.” I nodded as my stomach grumbled loudly. “Very funny Lissa, Alex’s making dinner right now so it should be ready when we get home.” Yawning, I nodded again, and then went back to focusing out the window.

                “What does S&S stand for anyway?” I asked suddenly, that feeling of recognition washing over me again.

                “Strike and Spare, it’s my latest project,” she answered, slightly annoyed. Oh, duh. Adelaide hadn’t been able to stop talking about it for almost the entire week I was home. That’s how out of it I must have been. Adelaide works for this strange company that rebuilds businesses. She’s done gyms, restaurants, doctor’s offices, and now bowling alleys. Not just any bowling alley, but the ‘hang out’ place at Warren High. If anybody was going on Friday, it was going to be her.

                “Grand opening on Friday, huh?” I asked casually, humming along to the radio to hide my smile. Adelaide muttered something inaudible back. I took it as a yes. “You wouldn’t mind if I went, would you?” I asked.

                “No, why?”  she replied, looking me over as we stopped at a red light.

                “Practically the whole school’s going.” I said back, keeping my gaze, thoroughly averted from hers. Instead of being angry, like I thought she might be since I knew things she didn’t, the air bubbled with excitement.

                “Perfect, just the kind of advertising we need. I wonder who planned a party, because the only one scheduled was Drew Perkins the last time I checked.” I sagged into my seat, why did I even bother bringing the whole thing up? The car stopped suddenly, Adelaide was texting on her phone with one hand while opening up the car door with the other. I jumped up, eager to see if the place was any good.

                Strike and Spare is a huge glass covered structure. As we walked inside the lighting dimmed and other sets of lights stuck to the floor flickered on. The floor lights guided patrons to the paying desk, and then to the lanes. Using her phone as a flashlight Adelaide walked past bowling ball covered walls. I followed, my shoes ringing out on the hardwood floor. Ahead of me my older sister stopped suddenly, and motioned me over.

                “If I’m not done in five call Alex and have her pick you up,” she pleaded.

                “Yeah, sure,” I replied more confused than ever. Adelaide smiled, and then unlocked a door a few feet away, she stepped into a circle of light. The continuum was lost as she clicked it closed, the lock snapping into place. I shrugged; Adelaide was sure one for secrecy. The room was almost pitch black; I blindly walked over to the lights. The walk was slow and treacherous, every time I went to step my foot connected hard with some sort of machine, ball, or other stupid things that go into a bowling alley.  How were you supposed to see the bowling pins to get a strike when it was so dark I couldn’t see my hand in front of my face? Maybe from a different angle it wasn’t so bad.

                I followed the trail of lights to the lanes. Stepping down onto the smooth polished wood the whole floor lit up with an almost blinding light. Falling backwards surprised, the light flickered off almost as soon as it had come on. My pulse was racing, and I took several laborious breathes to calm myself. Adelaide was going to hear about this. My phone rang, making me jump. It was Alex, wondering where I was. She agreed to pick me up, since Adelaide was running late. The noise of an engine made me jump even higher. I quickly stepped away from the lanes, slowly making my way towards the door. Alex texted me, she was leaving the house. So, who had just pulled up? Adelaide still hadn’t opened her office door, so I went right on ahead answering the questioning knock.