Chapter-8

ɪ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ɪ’ᴍ ᴘʀᴏʙᴀʙʟʏ ʙᴇᴛᴛᴇʀ ᴏғғ ᴀʟʟ ᴀʟᴏɴᴇ
ᴛʜᴀɴ ɴᴇᴇᴅɪɴɢ ᴀ ᴍᴀɴ ᴡʜᴏ ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴɢᴇ ʜɪs ᴍɪɴᴅ
ᴀᴛ ᴀɴʏ ɢɪᴠᴇɴ ᴍɪɴᴜᴛᴇ
..

I drop the file on Chase's desk.

"I'm off for the day." I say as I make my way out.

"Wait." He stops me, standing up.

"Yes Mr. Black?" I don't want to talk to him, my voice is making that clear.

"I'm sorry." He says, which is surprising since he never apologises, never. And here he is, apologizing for the second time in a day.

"If that is all, I'd like to leave. I'm getting late." I look at my watch. I wasn't late, Rome was picking me up from my apartment after an hour.

"I..I didn't mean anything I said yesterday. I'm sorry, it was out of line and unacceptable. Forgive me, Celeste." He looks like he struggled to say those words, judging from the tight grip he has on that desk.

"Yeah, it wasn't acceptable. But the damage is done. Can I leave now? Wouldn't want you to have the wrong impression of me wanting you." I say. That little crush I had on him was dead now. I had no feelings toward him.

"I'm sorry Celeste. Please, how do I make it up to you?" He's saying the words, sorry & please. Wow.

"Nothing." I leave his office, 2 seconds later I hear something smashing. Before yesterday, I would've checked, but now I won't.

Bestie 🫂💞🍔
I'm here.

Me
give me a sec.

I go down to see he's standing by his car. Am I making a stupid decision to hang out with him? Yes but, seeing all the stupid decisions I've made earlier in my life, this doesn't sound that stupid.

"Hi Rome."

"Hi pretty girl." He gives me a friendly hug before ruffling my hair. "Let's go." He says before opening the door for me.

"Where are we going?"

"There's a place, it's not that famous but they have the best burgers." He tells me while driving.

"Oh."

"How was your day?"

"It was good, and oh thank you for the flowers."

"It's nothing."

"How did you find out where I work?" I ask the question I've been dying to ask.

"Sources." He says, not giving much explanation.

"So what do you do?"

"Nothing big."

"Still?"

"I play." He's giving vague answers so I drop the topic, maybe he's a gamer.

He taps my knee, I realise we're not moving anymore. I look at the place, he was right. It's not crowded but there are people there. Reese's Point. I read the name.

"Come on. I know you'll love it." He says, opening the door for me.

"Thank you."

As we sit, a middle aged lady comes smiling at Rome. "How're you my child?" She asks, patting his head lovingly.

"I'm good Reese. How's business going?" He asks, giving her the charming smile.

"It's good, so..the regular?" She asks.