25. Standing Tall

Start from the beginning

He said, 'Covington, I got an offer that you can't refuse'
Ha!

Imagine an invisible string wrapped around your waist. Now, visualize it pulling you closer and closer to a place where you don't want to be. That's what happened to us. I was the first to be dragged on stage, where I was unwillingly tap dancing next to Caleb.

You got nothing to lose, boys, lose, lose, lose

Liz, dance away

Oh great, now I get a tap solo? I don't even like tap dancing! And when it finished, a random dude took me as his partner.

Alex, show me what you've got

He was the second to be pulled here. I couldn't see his face, but I could imagine he was confused out of his mind doing his drum solo.

Reggie, swing it, baby

I wanted to move over to him, but the combination of him and the purple tuxed guy wouldn't let me. Why is his grip so tight on my waist?

Now Luke.
Yeah!

Luke did his best to fight back. His guitar played as Covington instructed, but his feet acted as brakes. He wasn't going without a fight. We're doomed.

You and me!

The purple tuxedo dude threw me over to Caleb's arms. With a smile on his wicked face, I angrily harmonized with his scatting. "How do you like my new band?" he asked the crowd. Then he used me as his own dance partner.

So come over here, baby
I got what you need

He directed me over to the second floor of the stage so that he could fully soak up the audience with Luke and Reggie. I was left standing between Alex and the other, more feathered-up girls. I was doing the same moves as them.

Let yourself go crazy
All bets on me
It's electrifying
From your hat to your shoes
I feel it in the air
We got nothing to lose, la, la, la, la, la, la

Applause bursted after the song ended. Fighting against ghost haunting is tiring; we were out of breath and sweaty.

I can't do this all night, let alone eternity! We have to figure something out.

"Ready for our second song of the night?" Caleb winked to us and the others. They cheered because they didn't know the cruel behind the scenes.

Alex marked the pace, indicating that the saxophones, guitars, bass, and the rest of the instruments should start playing. They followed as we, the dancers, took our positions.

Holding back tears, I closed my eyes, hoping that, if I focused hard enough, this nightmare would be over.

The instruments seemed to be playing in harmony, but the piano caught me by surprise. The piece sounded familiar, too familiar. I'm not a fan of jazz music, so... what could it possibly be?

<One thing, and it's back to the beginning>
<'Cause everything is rushing in fast>

Am I dreaming? Did I hear Julie's voice? I stopped in mid-pirouette. Is she playing our song right now?

<Keep going on never look back>
<And it's one, two, three, four times>

"Do you hear her?" Alex screamed through the music. I nodded excitedly. Good to know it's not my imagination.