14. Splitting Apart

We came running down the hallways through the main entrance. We were a bit sweaty, yet I would run anytime for Julie. 

"Julie, we are ready to rock this daaance," Reggie's excitement and our walking ceased when we realized the gym was empty. No lights, no music, nothing. "...which is clearly over."

We turned around to see a sad, dissapointed Julie in the middle of a balloon arch.

"I found them," I said, a hint of guilt in my voice.

She stood up, fixing her beautiful tie dye shirt in the process. "Look, we are... so, so sorry that we bailed on you," Luke began apologizing.

Alex fumbled with his fingers. "Yeah, I mean, the night really got away from us."

"And the twins..."

"Don't bring them up," I condemned through my clenched jaw.

"Just please tell me it had nothing to do with you getting back at Carrie's dad," the poor girl pleaded.

They nervously smiled, pretending nothing suspicious or risky had occured. I just threw dagger eyes at the boys 'cause the question triggered a bunch of several ways of saying no. I really had no intention on getting Julie's bad side, especially since I had done nothing wrong.

"Seriously? You're lying to me?"

Our faces dropped a little lower. They had been caught, and I assume things were not going to get fixed so easily. "Okay, look, it was something we needed to do," Alex confessed.

The guitarist was the first to break the sharpened silence. He took a step forward. "But we-we'll do whatever it takes. We'll play the next sch—"

"What?"Julie snapped. "Another dance so you can bail on me and make me look like a fool? Save it. You know what really sucks? Our songs were good."

I didn't know what to do of the situation. I wanted to say sorry, tell the guys to move... or do something! Their heads lowered like scolded puppies, so I was in-between feelings.

Her voice quivered every microsecond she talked. "And all three of you knew what I've been through, and how tough it's been for me to play, and then you do this? Bands don't do that to each other. Friends don't do that to each other. This was a mistake." 

"You mean the school dance, right?" Luke semi-whispered.

"No. I mean joining a band with you guys." Julie hastily sprinted to the other exit we entered by.

"What?" I said to myself. She's leaving the band? We were just getting to know each other!

"Julie..." the other guys pushed, yet they knew better than to follow her. I just lost my best girl friend.

Once she left, I turned around to look at the guys, a scoff taking over. "I can't believe you guys did this... again! Look at what you did!"

"Okay, I know why Julie's mad at us, but what's your problem?" Luke shot at me, his sadness turning quickly into anger.

Although the anxiety was burning me from the inside, I stood my ground. "I-I was left here waiting too."

"And? " he pronounced rather dryly.

"And I told you we had done more than enough. You were so blinded by revenge and wanting to party that you blew this huge opportunity." It's so dumb that I have to explain myself. Are they really more close-minded that I thought?

"We're gonna get her back, I swear," Alex confirmed. He was preventing a storm from emerging, knowing well Luke and I have had our differences and bursts before. "Besides, it was a dance. I'm sure we can find something better."