19. Taking Chances

Since Julie was not available for practice tonight, we occupied ourselves in watching her little brother. He had become obsessed with us in the ghost department. Dedicated to the point that he had bought an app (whatever that means) to scan for spirits on his house.

"You can't hide forever, ghosties." Using the camera on his electronic device, he flung his arms around the room. Of course it was a scam, as the camera didn't detect us resting on the couch.

When the radar finally picked up something, it was no other than his aunt about to turn the lights on. It gave him a fright nonetheless. "For the last time, mijo, ghosts are not real."

Reggie rolled his eyes. "Typical adult. Do you remember when we were kids, and they never believed what we said?"

"Yup. I'm pretty sure that's just a 'you' thing," Alex accused.

I wagged my index finger. "Not true. Remember when mom wouldn't believe me about the buzzing on my ear? She wasn't thrilled when the bee's nest appeared the next day."

"Anyways... we were always pretty trustworthy. Me more than you." A smile smile appeared on my brother's lips.

The unnecessary teasing was cut short by Luke's unusual preocupation. "Shouldn't we be more worried about Julie? Her dad just busted her, okay? He's probably making her quit the band."

"Well there's not much we can do about that now, but... we can still help Carlos. Adults not believing in children ends tonight." Remind me why do I like him? Oh, yeah, the adorable smile he has right now. And the mischevious glint on his eye. And how hot he looks on black. "Showtime."

He flicked the lamp's lightbulb, creating a gasp between the Molina duo. "Ghosts aren't real, huh? How do you explain that?" Carlos inquired.

I sighed, not knowing if I was feeling anxious, annoyed, amused or a mix of the three a's. "Reg, I get what you're trying to do, but it's not worth it."

"Light bulbs burn out all of the time, Carlos," his aunt responded, but it was a very, very shaky response. It was more like a confirmation to herself than to her nephew.

"Ooh, wrong answer, tía." Reggie stood up next to the blinders. "Explain this." He pulled the strings of the recently mentioned, creating the ilusion the curtain moved by itself.

Luke, Alex, and I just glanced at each other. My brother did one of those faces meaning 'you still like him?' I just stuck out my tongue.

On the other hand, Carlos was excited; his theory was becoming true in front of him. "Maybe it's my mom! She knows I haven't been replacing the toilet paper."

At this point, his aunt was clawing the poor boy's shoulders. "Your mama would never scare us! This is the work of a demon!"

The bassist suddenly stopped. "Hey, words hurt."

"Wait! I gotta get it on video," Carlos suggested.

"Yeah, you do. Time for an old classic." Reggie pulled a white sheet and placed it over his head, becoming the walking stereotype of a ghost.

In between her screaming, the aunt dragged her nephew from the living room. He was probably dissapointed, as whatever evidence he wanted to take was stripped from him.

Reggie dropped the sheet as he slicked back his hair. When he slouched in the chair, his arm brushed over mine.

"Do you have any idea what you've done?" Alex scolded. Despite his and Luke's crossed arms and scowling, I was kind of having fun. If we're getting in trouble, we might as well enjoy the little moments, right? Or maybe I just find the contrary interesting once in a while. My brother's face is priceless in times like these.