Ronan: A Home Lost and A Home Found

Start from the beginning

When I woke up the cold glass of the frame had gone warm as sunlight started to peek through my curtains. I got up out of bed slipping on my slippers, moving the picture frame back to its spot when a loud banging on the door startled me, causing me to drop the frame, glass shattering on the hardwood.

My dad came in which was a rare sight, he never came to see me, I wondered if he was finally going to teach me, but then my hopes were shattered like the picture frame when he spoke up.

"Why aren't you out of my house yet?" So he had been serious! One of the many housekeepers my father had hired ushered me out of the house as my father watched from the balcony of the stairs not saying a word. He just stood there with his arms crossed over his chest with a scowl on his face until he turned and walked away.

"Mr.Ronan..." The housekeeper that had been ushering me out was Maria, she had been close with my mom when she was alive, and my father had kept her employed. To be fair, my mom hadn't been very public about her friendship with Maria, as father had gotten rid of all the other people that had been close to her. Maria handed me a stack of clothes that were still warm.

"I ironed an outfit for you to change into so you won't be in your pajamas. Find somewhere to change into them when you leave, and try to get a job somewhere alright?" Maria whispered, doing her best not to be heard in the echoey stairwell. I thanked her and headed down the street. It was still early, father had never been one to miss tiny details. He knew sending me out when the streets were busy would make him look bad so it was about six in the morning. The only place that i knew would be open was a gas station nearby that I used to sneak out and grab snacks from when I was younger.

When I opened the door the signature dinging announced my arrival as a cashier I was familiar with looked over.

"Hey Ronan! You're up early!" The cashier was Alya, a girl I had gone to school with before my dad got private tutors because he thought that public school would 'corrupt me'.

"What's with the pajamas? Did you want to grab a snack or something and head back to bed?" Alya was mocking me from behind the counter, she'd always teased me for having 'daddy's money' but she never really meant it.

"Seriously though is everything okay?" She looked around the store to be sure no one else was listening.

"Yeah, dad kicked me out this morning, but Maria handed me some clothes before I got the boot. Do you mind if I go change? I can't buy anything..." Alya rolled her eyes and chuckled.

"Ronan, I work minimum wage first thing in the morning. Do what you want man." Alya chuckled as I walked to the restroom to change. I slipped out of my tennis shoes that my father had allowed me to put on before I left, one saving grace. I started putting on the shirt that Marie had handed me, a lung sleeve white button down, with blue rimming after putting on an under shirt. Even at six in the morning, Shall Harbor wasn't the coolest city in the world so I rolled up my sleeves. I put on the dark jeans she had handed me as well and slipped my shoes back on. My hair was still messy so I brushed through it with my fingers and some water from the constantly dripping sink in the bathroom. As I walked out Alya whistled at me while holding a bag that looked really greasy.

"Even on his bad days, Mr.Ronan's a heartthrob!" She started mimicking a sports announcer to resume her teasing. "Here he comes folks, with the classic white button down and messy but perfect looking hair, Ronan Gardener swoops in. Whose heart will he break today folks?" I couldn't help but chuckle. It had been years since we went to school together, but ever since she started working here I made a habit to come grab something now and then just to get away from the friends that I had to make. She handed out the greasy bag in front of her to hand to me.