Chapter III

III

The Walk

———

Amy and Lance, who are going for a walk, went to go near the house of Lance. Amy, quite confused, gave some sort of I-don't-get-it expression to Lance but he is just not looking nor paying attention.

"What's up here?" Amy asked as if she was really confused. "Eh, Lance? Huh?"

"Amy, I'm just going to get something," Lance said with like a command. "Stay here."

Amy waited for about five minutes. Despite of that, she waited patiently. No sooner, Lance came walking outside the door towards the outside, bringing something heavy that was about as high as his waist. It was for safety. It was a sword.

"So, you're keeping yourself safe?" Amy asked with a smirk.

"Yeah, you too," Lance said. "There are robots out there. As my brother told me, he was being chased by one of them when he was just a little boy. Now, he's an engineer. They are planning the strongest gate that would cover the whole town of Garing-free."

"That's great!" Amy exclaimed in amusement.

"Yeah, but we always hope that it cannot be destroyed by any of those wicked robots," Lance said as they started to walk in the grassy fields.

"Oh, me too. Dad gave me a bow. It's a special thing for me, even I still don't know how to shoot an arrow. Sadly, he's gone. Mom said that she'll teach soon and I'm really excited. Mom gave me two, actually three sets of arrows," Amy said.

"That's great — too — !" Lance exclaimed.

It's been a long pause. The heart of Lance was beating so fast. He was really confused now what kind of feeling is this. It is not love. Really, it is no love.

"Let's sit here at the grass," Amy said to Lance, being pulled out in his daydream.

"Yes," Lance muttered but Amy wasn't listening as they sat on the soft, green grass.

Lance was thinking to say anything but this was getting awkward and awkward as every moment passes by. It wasn't like an event, people fake smiles, when someone jokes, they force laughter. It was just a positive awkwardness though it couldn't have a negative one. Without expecting, they are caught in the rain pouring heavily.

"Hey, it's raining!" Amy shouted and it is not obvious.

"Yes — Amy, I know this is not the perfect time. But, I hope our walk will not end because of this heavy rain," Lance said as he held his arm because of coldness.

"What do you mean?" Amy asked curiously.

"I mean — let's have fun!" Lance shouted at the humid air.

They ran and hid under a clean stable without horses. It was really smelling bad in there.

"I hate manures!" Amy exclaimed as she gave the manure at the corner of the stable a tough look.

"I do not," Lance said as he laughed.

Amy looked disgusted to what he said. Seriously, she thought, he loves manures? Amy forcingly pushed her thoughts in the back of her mind, hoping it wouldn't come back.

"Let's have a race," Amy suggested, looking so ready to run.

"Sure!" Lance replied in a shout. "I am ready to fall onto the ground and have a wound!"

Amy looked pissed off but it didn't show off that much. Everyone knows she do have a charming face. It was obvious. Back to business, Amy glared at him with the thought of I-don't-like-to-be-pissed-off on her face. Lance just shut his mouth, knowing anytime, Amy would laugh at him.

"So," Amy said, "we've got to reach that tree. This is for no prize. Just a race."

Lance nodded with arrogance and muttered, "make sure to win." Then they started to race. They started to run from the stable.

"Remember — this — I — will — win!" shouted Lance who is boasting right now.

"Oh," replied Amy, "just make sure."

Upon ending their statements, they accelerated their speed. The tree Amy was saying is very far and you still have to go through the two trees, nearest to them. Though they accelerated, Amy was still in the lead. Lance thought the tree Amy was saying is the nearest tree to them which is a wrong.

"I got the tree," Lance shouted. "I won! I told you — I'll win. No one — no one beats me. Hey!"

He was holding on the wrong tree while Amy is in the right one.

"I'm pointing this tree!" Amy scolded. "Next time, listen carefully."

"I listened carefully! I just—"

"You just thought it was it? Huh?"

"Uh, yeah."

"You didn't listen to—"

"I didn't pay attention, you mean."

"Oh," Amy stopped. "Right. I still win!"

Lance just breathed deeply. Amy is right, he wasn't paying attention. He was so much boasting that time. He's proud. Good thing, Amy has a long patience or else this will really ruin her day — being with your boastful friend on a race.

"Well," Lance said. "Got to go home."

"Goodbye."

"Goodbye," Lance replied, "and thanks for the cheating!"

"Whatever." Amy murmured this but Lance seemed to hear it — he's paying attention now.

Without noticing, they didn't see the rain stopped. Not just earlier. It was seven minutes ago, which means, it stopped before they raced. And yes, it was a long race. The path's too long.

I can say that they reached their own homes safely. No other attacks. They are totally safe that time but I cannot promise that they will be safe forever. They enjoyed, the sky didn't — it cried — it rained. Could this be a very bad sign in their day?

Amy's day is what I mean. It wasn't Lance's day. The walk seemed to be so short for them but it is really not short. They just want to be racing more! As it was just safe, they will enjoy the walk . . . or should I say, the run.

They didn't walk, they did run. It's just a race. And that's what they call The Walk.

———