9) "I don't ever want to lose you" (Fluff) Newt

(Note: You did not work for WCKD)

     (Y/N's POV)

     In the week that I had been here, I had not been really good at anything. I was average at most jobs here, but I was best at gardening. Because of that, I spent a lot of time with my best friend, Newt. He had become my best friend since we spent so much time together and we really liked each other. He liked me in a friendship way, but I did not. I liked him in that way.

   I actually did my best to ignore my feelings for him. It worked. I could successfully push them down and be completely fine (and more) with being just friends. If I lost Newt in a horrible place like this because of my feelings for him I would have nothing left.

   "Hey, Y/N, can you grab us some fertilizer?" Zart asked.

   " 'Course."

   I sat down my tools, and he threw me an empty bucket and a tiny shovel (idk what they're called, sorry. Spades?) to help. I caught it and started to walk off towards the Deadheads.

    I went in and bent down to start digging. My knees sunk into the dirt, and I looked at the pants that would now probably have stains on them. I collected about half a bucket when I started to feel uneasy. The hairs on the back of my neck stood straight up. I heard some wheezing breaths behind me and my head whipped around and I gasped. Ben was there. I dropped my shovel and put my hand over my heart while laughing nervously.

   "You scared me, Ben!" I sighed, feeling my heart race wildly, breathing deeply to calm down. I took a second to observe him. He was still in his running gear. "Wait, aren't you supposed to be with Minho in the Maze?"

   He didn't answer, and his breathing got heavier, which scared me a little.

   "Ben...?"

   He lunged at me and tackled me to the ground. He pushed my hands down and reached for something in his pocket. My eyes grew wide with fear. I screamed, and then I reached for something to help me get him off of me. I touched an animal skull and bashed it into his head with a noise that couldn't be described. He fell to his side, and I used the chance to get out of there. I stumbled for a few seconds before my feet realized that this was a life or possible death situation and started to go faster. I looked back after a few seconds and saw him scramble up from his temporary daze and start to chase me. To be honest, I'm a gardener. I'm not the best runner, and obviously, I can't run faster than one of the best runners in the Glade. He gained on me pretty quickly.

   "Help! Help!" I screamed.

   I ran faster and emerged out of the Deadheads. When we made our way into open ground, I saw boys looking my way. They started running towards me. I fell to the ground from Ben getting on top of me. He put his hand over my mouth and got a knife out. I tried desperately to push him off, but he drove the knife into my abdomen. My scream was muffled by his hands. I stopped struggling and felt blood gush out from the wound he made. I felt faint and the pain that was shooting through me was completely indescribable. So, to put it in simple terms, it hurt.

    I suddenly saw Ben fall off of me, and Newt appeared over me. He had a shovel in his hand.

   "Hold him down!" He yelled to the boys.

   I rolled my head to the side and my vision went blurry. I saw boys holding Ben down and lifting his shirt. The last thing I saw was Newt kneeling beside me.

    (A bit later)

   I felt pain down by my stomach area. I opened my eyes and the lights that wouldn't have bugged me normally were blinding me. I squinted my eyes and groaned. I looked down and saw that I had a bandage wrapped around me that had blood soaking through it slowly with a different shirt than I had on before on. It was pulled up to where the band of my bra would end and where the bandage began. I saw movement out of the corner of my eyes.

   "Oh my god! You're awake!"

   Newt rushed over to me and carefully wrapped me in a hug. I put my arms around him.

   "I was so worried!"

   He pulled away. and I saw the evidence of him crying. His eyes were puffy, his cheeks had tears running down them, and his eyes were filled with concern.

   "I'm okay," I replied.

   "No, you're not. You just got bloody stabbed."

   I glanced down at my stomach, well, or my covered stomach.

   "Yeah."

   "Are you feeling okay?"

   "Not really."

   He nodded.

   "Okay. I'll go get Clint and Jeff."

   He rushed out of the room surprisingly fast. I threw my head back and looked up at the ceiling. I tried to think everything over, but now my stomach hurt worse.

   A minute later, Newt came in with the Med-Jacks. He rushed to my side and held my hand. He squeezed it.

   "They're gonna give you medicine and change your bandages," he said. I could tell he was trying hard not to give in to some tears that were almost spilling from his eyes. His voice was almost strained.

   Both of the boys were getting bandages, water, a rag, and painkillers. I was not ready for even more pain.

   "Alright, take these. They will help," Jeff said. He gave me a pill and water, which I took. He got more water and kneeled by my other side.

   "Is it bad?" I asked Newt.

   "It's not pretty..." he hesitantly answered.

   I knew it must be pretty bad then. They helped me painfully sit up a bit and they were almost about to unwrap my bandage.

   "Ready?" Clint asked.

   I nodded and bit my lip. Newt held my hand tighter. My eyes were glued downwards as they took it off. It had a lot of blood around it and it looked very bad. Newt looked away from it.

   "We're gonna clean it, okay? It might hurt."

  I nodded again and put my free hand over my mouth to stop from the inevitable screaming I was gonna do.

   Clint counted down from 3 and poured some water on it. I choked down the scream and they patted at the wound. Tears were stinging my eyes and they started to roll down my face. Newt held my hand tighter if possible.

   They were done in a short period of time and then they wrapped another bandage around me. I threw my head back when they were done. They quickly left the room after saying that Newt should keep me company. I watched them.

   Newt had a very sad expression on.

   "What's wrong?" I asked.

   He turned away.

   "I... when he pinned you to the ground...and did that to you, I... I thought I had lost you, Y/N."

   He met my eyes, and I gave him an apologetic smile.

   "I'm sorry. I'm here."

   I put my other hand over his holding mine, and I rubbed circles on it. He gave me a small smile that didn't meet his eyes.

   "I almost killed him at the trial. It happened when you were out. He was in the slammer while we had a gathering and I could barely stand to look at him. I could barely stand to be there, away from you when you needed me the most..."

   He put his head by mine and sighed. I turned my head and kissed his forehead gently. He turned to look at me.

   "I don't ever want to lose you."

   I smiled and stroked his cheek.

   "I'm always here."

   He looked relieved and he leaned his head down a bit and kissed me. I immediately kissed him back. He put his other hand in my hair and turned to face me a bit more, careful to not lean on me. After about 20 seconds, he broke the kiss. We both breathed heavily. He put his forehead on mine.

   "I love you, Y/N."

   "I love you too, Newt."

Original Publish Date: August 26th, 2021