Chapter 3

She nervously clutched at the strap of her bag as she dazedly stared at the huge mansion that stood proud and tall in front of her. She found the extravagance of the house daunting. She was so intimidated that for a minute, she considered turning tails. She just couldn't picture herself casually strolling through the corridors of this magnificent building.

"Excuse me, you need some help?" the guard approached her. He had been watching her for the last 10 minutes gawking at the mansion. Although it was nothing out of the ordinary, the mansion had distracted many. However, the guard was strictly instructed to question anyone and everyone who is seen around the mansion for safety purposes.

Arabella didn't respond.

"Ma'am," the guard tried again, louder this time.

"Huh?" Arabella absently turned to the guard and blinked her eyes into focus. 

"You have been standing here for the last 10 minutes. I was asking if you needed any help?" the guard responded in a professional manner

"No...I mean yes..I have come here for an interview, sir," she managed a smile on her face. She was already nervous and the grand sight of the house had only added to her jittery.

"Very well. May I know the name of the person you wish to meet," the guard asked in a composed manner.

"Yes. It's Mr. Robert Brown," her smile widened a fraction. The guard couldn't keep himself from smiling at the little lady as he found her smile infectious.

"Wait a second, ma'am. I'll call him to let him know about your arrival," his voice had softened and the cold expression on his face had turned to a friendly one.

He motioned for her to follow him.

"Thank you and please, call me Arabella," she said modestly before following him. 

She stood outside his quarter as the guard conversed with Mr. Brown through the phone, inside. A minute later, the guard emerged from his small room and gestured for her to follow him.

Arabella's hold on her bag tightened. She had never given an interview before. She didn't know how she was going to deal with it. Sister Teresa had assured her that Mr. Brown is a warm person with a good heart and that she will get the job for she is the best suitable person. But still, she couldn't help but feel nervous. Her heart was racing wildly and her hands were sweating despite the cold weather.

The guard led her in through a mighty mahogany door. Her eyes bulged out and her lips parted in awe as she explored the insides of the mansion. It was splendid.

She followed him into a room that looked like some office, a neat one at that. Her orbs zealously ran over the shining wooden walls and shelves that were stacked with books. The scraping of the chair against the floor broke her inspection.

"Make yourself comfortable," the guard pulled the chair for her. She thanked him and slipped into it.

"Mr. Brown will be here shortly," He informed her before showing himself out.

The room fell in deep silence. Ara utilized the time in admiring the room.

Her ears perked up when she heard approaching footsteps. The door swung open and she straightened her stance.

She turned her head to see the person and stood to her feet out of courtesy.

The man who looked to be in his 60s closed the door and turned around. The man was bald if not counting the bush of hair circling his head. The man didn't have a lean physique but looked rather portly. His protruding belly and chubby face made him look friendlier.