Chapter 13

Krist's POV
I watched as the sick man in front of me inclined his face, lips nearing mine as I fisted on the sheets of the bed nervously. Our breaths mingled as I could feel his nose nuzzling mine.

"Kit." His soft whisper provoked me to open my eyes that I'd unknowingly shut and I could feel flutters in my heart as I held my breath, gazing at him leaning closer and closer every second...

"Kit?! Where are you, Kit? Come help us with the groceries." I broke out of my trace and swiftly shoved P'Singto away while I dashed out of my room, panting a little as my parents were giving me odd stares.

"Are you feeling sick, Kit? Your face is flushed red." Mom said worriedly while she stepped closer to me, caressing my face.

"I'm fine, mom. I... I'll go help in the kitchen." With that, I left for the kitchen and started putting away the groceries.

"I'll go next door and invite Singto for dinner. That poor boy doesn't know how to cook and it's still raining outside. It would be difficult for him to go out." Mom told dad as she slid into her shoes with her keys in one hand. I instantly rushed to her and stopped her in turning the door knob.

"Kit?" Confusion was evident in her voice as I was still contemplating if I should tell her that P'Singto is here.

Why are you even hesitating, Kit?

"Mom, P'Singto isn't home."

"He isn't?" She withdrew a few steps and wanted to grab her phone," I'll call him then. It must be quite difficult to live alone."

"Don't call him." I blurted out and she looked puzzled," He... P'Singto can't answer your call. He... He's sick."

"Singto's sick? Oh my, I better go check on that boy." I immediately snatched away her keys and she was quite annoyed by it.

"He... He's not home, mom. He..."

Why was it even so hard to tell her?

"Look, Kit. Just tell me whatever you..."

"He's here... In my bed."

Damn! Can't you choose a better word, Krist?

"He's in your bed?" They were seemingly shocked by the truth, and dad was the first one to wake up from his stupor to inquire with me.

"He wanted to get some medicine from me but I decided to bring him inside and take care of him instead. He was in quite a horrible state." I explained to them as mom followed me back to my room, just to see P'Singto leaning on the headboard with his eyes closed.

"I've gave him some medicine but he refused to eat the congee I made." I muttered softly as the both of us approached the bed and P'Singto's eyes snapped open, hearing us.

"Aunty?" His voice was still hoarse as I quickly handed him the glass of water by the bedside table. He thanked me and gulped the water down little by little.

"How are you feeling, Singto? Kit told us you caught a cold." Mom sat by the bed as she took out the thermometer she brought along before she came into my room.

"I'm already feeling better, thank you." He said before mom placed the thermometer in his mouth and checked on the reading a few moments later.

"38.75°C, you still need rest, son." She muttered and I saw P'Singto was staring at my mom longingly as his eyes watered slightly.

"What happened, Singto? Are you feeling uncomfortable anywhere?" Mom gushed over him when she too noticed P'Singto's unusual reaction.

"It's nothing, aunty." He wiped off his tears with a smile," You just... reminded me of my mom. She isn't here anymore... She... she died of cancer a few years ago."

"I'm so sorry to hear that." Mom embraced him, patting his back lightly as I saw more tears streaming down his cheeks," It's alright, I can be your mom too, you know?"

"Thank you." He hugged her back and they stayed in each other's arms for quite a moment before mom took the congee that was placed by the side and started feeding him. He was staring at her all the time and I knew he was just really missing his mom.

"All done." She smiled at him when he finished the bowl of congee and patted his head lovingly," Go get some rest now."

She then tugged him in bed before leaving my room. I too was following her steps when I heard a gentle voice called out for me.

"Kit."

"Hmm?" I turned back just to see him sitting back up again.

"Why are you still up, P'? Get some rest, I'll help mom to prepare dinner for us." I tried to coax him back to sleep but instead of complying, he motioned me to come closer. I simply obeyed, not thinking much when he grasped my wrist out of the blue and yanked me towards him. I was caught off guard as I fell into his arms for the second time today.

"We're not done yet." He whispered by my ear huskily with a smirk and I started panicking when I felt his hand caressing the small of my back.

"W-what do you mean?" I stuttered while trying to distance myself from him.

"My kiss." He then tilted his head a little, giving a kitten lick behind my ear as I squirmed under that suggestive gesture of his.

"I-I didn't promise you."

"But you didn't reject me either." He chuckled softly by my ear and that instantly sent shivers down my spine.

"So... my kiss?" I could feel his lips curving upwards as they were plastered on the skin of the crook of my neck.

"N-no." I shut my eyes tight when his warm breath was fanning my jaw.

"Really?" He sniffed for once on my skin audibly as his hold on my waist tightened.

"Yes."

"Yes for the kiss? Alright then." He muttered and his face angled vaguely, placing a chaste peck on my forehead. I was stunned for a moment before realizing that he had released his hold on me as he lay back on the bed with the blanket covering till his shoulders. I promptly stood up and my foot was caught in the rug as I stumbled out of my room, still feeling dazed and confused.

What just happened?

A/N:
Thanks for reading.