Ocean's Trial - BONUS Chapter 2

Ocean's Trial - Bonus Chapter 2

I almost cried with relief as I trudged home. For the first time, I felt no irritation at my flapping bloomers or constricting bandeau, nor the long skirt that tangled around my legs with every step I took into the stiff southerly breeze. I didn't even notice the fresh, Antarctic temperature of the wind, I was so happy. I could love a man without killing him, for William lived.

"So the news is true and your man is among the living," Aunt Merry greeted me from the front veranda.

I nodded and opened the screen door to head inside in search of breakfast.

Merry's arm barred my way. "Now, we didn't spend all those weeks locked in a cabin to keep you hidden from the crew, practicing your English for you not to speak to me. Tell me, Maria."

I swallowed. "A lifeboat reached some islands on the far side of the Indian Ocean. Two men died, but the rest lived. Including William. I know no more than that, Aunt Merry. Perhaps if you read the newspaper, you can tell me more than I know."

She lifted her arm to permit me to pass, but she followed me inside. "I think you know more than you've told me, Maria. I need to know what happened to you if I'm to continue to help you and so will everyone else. All anyone knows is that you're my niece - and we both know that's not true."

I remained silent as I cut some bread and spread Aunt Merry's homemade mulberry jam in a thick, purple layer across the slightly stale slice. My teeth crunched through the crust and the tart sweetness hit my tongue. I'd never tasted anything this good.

Merry poked the coals in the wood stove and added some kindling. She shifted the kettle to the spot over the newly kindled flame before spooning fresh tea into her immaculate teapot. "We're almost out," she said softly. "Can you go to the Chinese grocer's this week to get some more? The way you drink tea, we'll be using a tin a week."

I nodded. She'd provided me with food, shelter, clothing and the ability to communicate in her language. The least I could do was run errands for her - and hope she would soon tell me how I could repay my debt to her. But not with my secrets. No, I couldn't tell this kind woman about my past.

She bustled about, brewing tea in silence. As she set our cups on the table, I realised the huge differences between us. Like her delicate china cup and saucer, Merry's impeccable appearance contrasted strongly with my tin mug and layers of ill-fitting clothes. As she poured milk into her cup, turning her dark brew into a creamy, opaque light tan, mine remained a translucent, murky brown. "You should try it with milk," she admonished, but I shook my head and lifted the cup to my lips. I could manage to drink it like this, but the milk seemed to intensify the muddy flavour that made me feel ill.

Merry enthroned herself at the head of the kitchen table. "This time, I think you know enough English to tell me the truth - and I'll know if you're lying. Let's start at the beginning. Where are you from?"

I gulped a mouthful of tea, letting the hot liquid burn its way down the inside of my chest. "From the islands of Cocos. Far to the north, near India."

She nodded slowly. "A colonial girl. That would explain your queer notions of clothing and your complete lack of English." She sipped her tea. "Who was your father?"

My father? This question swam perilously close to my secrets. "A cable-man at Cocos," I said finally. "Telegraph cable."

Another nod. "His name? Tell me his name and yours."

I shook my head. "My name is Maria. That is all."

"What about your mother?"

"She...lives. Will not see me. I am disgraced. She sent me away." I filled my mouth with tea before I could say any more.