Chapter 6: Dragonflight

Start from the beginning

Doug risked a small smirk. "Are you?"

Evie sighed and flicked her gaze from him back towards the dark city. "To be honest, no. I'm scared of what we might find in there. And we don't have any idea where the Dragonfire is, right? The Isle is huge. We could be here for days and still find nothing. And then Mom will definitely know you're here..."

"Evie," Doug looked right at her. "Don't worry about me, okay? I can take care of myself. You just focus on finding that Dragonfire."

"Yeah..." Evie wasn't one hundred percent convinced. "Speaking of which," she added, attempting to change the subject. "You still have yours right?"

He fished around in his pocket for a second before pulling it out to show to her. It was shimmering an unusual shade of white. Evie guessed this was because it was so close to its home. "Okay. Now, whatever you do, watch out for pickpockets," she warned him. "The last thing we want is for someone to take it. Especially now."

He nodded.

Evie sighed once more and put her hands on her hips. "All right. Let's go." And with that, she marched towards the entrance to the city. Doug rolled his eyes slightly and followed.

The Isle was just as she remembered it. Dark, dank, and cold. And she wasn't just talking about the temperature. If looks could kill, they both would have dropped dead moments upon arrival. To Evie, this was normal. On the Isle, to be good was bad and to be bad was good. No doubt many of the villains had watched what had happened with Audrey and had heard Ben's proclamation to let Uma, Gil, Harry, and Hades stay in Auradon. Maybe some would be more friendly now.

But, then again, maybe not.

As they passed through the grimy market, eyes seemed to stare at them from everywhere. Angry eyes. Doug clearly was feeling the hate as he moved closer to Evie, trembling. He was really out of his element here. One look told Evie that he was ready to turn tail and run. But it was too late for that. They were here. And they had a mission to complete.

Another problem: With both Uma and Mal gone, who had taken over their old hood? She could think of a couple of villains that would love to gain control of the Isle. Scarlett, Scar's daughter. Silva, John Silver's son. And Queenie, the Queen of Hearts' daughter. She had to hope that none of them had taken over in her absence.

"Hey, Evie? What's this?"

She whipped around, sighing as she found Doug investigating a small container filled with some kind of green substance. "Oh no. No no no no no." She grabbed him firmly by the shoulders and steered him away. "Frog slime," she explained. "Good for warts. Really, you don't want anything anyone's selling. It's either not worth it or fake."

"Frog s-slime?" Doug looked utterly repulsed.

"Yeah, come on." Evie led him away. "Stay close," she told him. "We're attracting too much attention."

"I think it might just be you," Doug responded. "You are...rather eye-catching...if you know what I mean." He waited for some sort of remark from her. Instead of giving him the satisfaction, she simply smirked and kept moving.

They maneuvered through the back streets, ignoring the vendors who called out to them. Doug watched them pityingly. He readied into his pockets for the little bit of spare change he always carried on him. Evie watched cautiously as he handed the dollar and a half to a huddled mass. She waited until he hurried back over before speaking. "That was...sweet..." And it probably just made us a billion times more noticeable. "Come on, let's...keep looking."

They passed Ursula's restaurant and Maleficent castle. Evie tensed and practically ran past the latter, struggling to hold back the wave of memories. They ducked past several smaller houses and old witches out for a stroll before finally passing through one last alley.