Chapter thirteen

Playlist: Lady in the Wall - Danny Knutelsky

###

It's been a week since I met Jack. I feel like all those years we were growing up together, enjoying life. Every morning I receive a dose of cheering up from him via messages for what I'm more than grateful. He is trying to do his best to make my life easier and happier. It works...for a short period of time.

When the sun goes down and the smallest glimpse of the moon appears, when darkness takes over the light, I start to struggle. I had to cure myself with wax two times this week. What makes me stumped is not being able to figure out the reason for my mental problems. I'm not in Chicago anymore, I don't keep in touch with my parents, I don't have an obsessed boyfriend, what's more, he is dead and I'm the one who sent him to the nothingness. It doesn't even bother me.

It's complicated, I know, but I believe that I'll find the way out of it.

I'm standing in front of the club I visited last week. This place doesn't have anything to satisfy those who are addicted to gambling, so I can't define the reason why I'm standing here again.

It feels like I was blacked out and my legs made their way to this place without me knowing that. My soul is emotionally attached to this atmosphere. My desire to find out what's wrong with this club is stronger than my common sense. It's not just a place for having a drink, relaxing and dancing, there must be secrets and I want to know them.

My gaze raised above the club, trying to find the sky among all those enormously high buildings. The moon was full and red.

It looks like it's ready to explode at any moment. To explode and cover the whole city in blood and sin. Not a single memory cannot appear in my mind with the scene like this - blood moon. I stare at it, not being able to take my eyes away. The beauty of it makes me lose focus in my eyes. All I see is the big bloody-red spot in the sky.

This view fascinates me.

''Don't stare at the moon or it will haunt you forever. Your worst nightmares will come.'' A voice in my head wanted to wake up all my fears.

At school, we learned about this and I remember my teacher saying, ''It's a phenomenon that no one can fully understand. The mortals should be afraid of this and those who are not among them would feel the power filling their body.''

The thought of my teacher's words made me tremble, or it was the chilly wind that made my skin cover in goosebumps. How can it appear strange, frightening, and mysteriously fascinating at the same time? A full moon symbolizes rebirth, but the blood moon...energy that empowers the bodies.

Snapping out of my thoughts I finally entered the building.

On the left side of the red corridor were standing girls in fanciest outfits. Expensive corsets, stockings, feathers, and puffy skirts. Every detail is executed in a quiet and elegant atmosphere, called to underline luxury and comfort. For the owner, it is no luxury, but rather a good business.

Today is Friday, that's why there were more people than last time. It was very hard to find someone I know in the crowd, almost impossible. People danced in the rhythm of music, touching their bodies in close proximity.

I felt the examining looks as I entered the room, the accidental physical contact. My body reacted immediately and forced me to step away from the crowd. Trying not to attract a lot of attention, I sat at a free table. Having ordered a drink without alcohol, I was looking at the faces of strangers, enjoying the tranquility which I didn't get so often.

After refusing a couple of men to dance, I finally got my drink.

Suddenly I felt someone watching me very closely. My pulse elevated when I decided to find the man who burned me with his own eyes.