callies suspicions

callies pov:

i know i've been gone for 4 months, but surely arizona's gotten back on her feet now? i don't know the way she flinched now has me worried. she brings me over to the kitchen and asks if any of us are hungry. sofia replies with a "yes mommy!" and arizona's arm reaches for a pan, i see a splotch of red on her hoodie arm...could it be blood? she sees me staring at her arm and instantly turns her back away from me, starting to cook. we definitely need to talk.

arizona's pov:

i cook sofia some pasta and she finishes it quickly after the long car drive. callie suggests we watch a movie and i know that sofia will fall asleep if we do...which means i have to talk to callie. usually i'd love this. but she knows. i know she knows. so we all sit down on the sofa and we switch on a barbie movie, one of sofia's favourites. sofia snuggles up to me and callie smiles at us. after 30 minutes sofia is sound asleep in my arms. callie whispers to me to take sofia to bed. this is the moment i've been dreading. but sooner or later this conversation will happen so, callie gives sofia a kiss on her forehead and i take sofia to her room.

callies pov:

arizona comes out of sofia's room. i know she's happy to see her child, but this arizona doesn't look genuinely happy...her super magic smile has faded. so i waste no time but to question her.

callie: what's going on?

arizona: nothing calliope. would you like something to drink? maybe or-

callie: arizona cut it out! (callie raises her voice and all of a sudden arizona looks scared) i know you. we were married. you've been out of it...you flinched when sofia touched your arm, then when you were cooking i saw blood on your sleeve.

arizona: (shakily) callie, you're probably just tired after this long day, you can crash here. i'm fine. i promise-

callie: lift up your sleeve.

arizona: (hides her arms behind her back) no callie.

callie: (steps closer to arizona and raises her voice) I SAID LIFT UP YOUR SLEEVE (takes another step towards her)

arizona: (flinches and covers her head and face with her arms, giving her flashbacks to when eliza beat her)

callie: arizona...i-.

arizona: (falls down onto the floor and starts crying)

callie: (gets down next to her) hey...shhh...shh...it's ok (pats her back) it's ok. i'm here now. i'm here.

10 minutes later...

callies pov:
now that arizona's calmed down, i see right through her. something clearly happened. i let go of her and look her in her crystal blue eyes that used to shine like diamonds, but now they look shallow, they look sad.

callie: (softly) arizona, you can talk to me. i'm here for you. please, i want to help you.

arizona: no, i don't want to be a problem, i don't wanna be your problem. you should just leave. i-i'm fine.

callie: hey, no. i left once. and i'm not leaving until i know what's going on. i'm not leaving until the arizona i left is back. so what's going on?

arizona: (sighs) you know eliza? eliza minnick? (callie nods) well when you left we became a thing. a-a couple (sniffs) i guess. she knew about you and i from hospital rumours you know? and well i-i guess she used that to her advantage.

callie: what? what do you mean? did she h-hurt you?

arizona: (tears up) uh well. at first i thought we were happy, you know? but uhm as the days went by, when she got mad about anything she would (takes a shaky deep breath) hit me.

callie: oh arizona...i'm so sorry

arizona: (nods her head) and uhm one day she beat me so bad that i couldn't move (starts to cry) i was just lying on the floor, defenceless, while i had to listen to her tell me that the reason why you left me was because i was ugly and fat and not worthy of love.

callie: oh my god. hey, hey you know that's not true. i-i-

arizona: i know callie, i know.

callie: was that it? i mean is she gone now? what-what's your plan here?

arizona: she sent me a message a couple weeks ago telling me she can see why you left me and we haven't seen each other since.

callie: oh. arizona. ok, i'm taking sofia back to my brother in nyc. and i'm going to help you, ok?

arizona: no, callie. i-i don't want to be a problem...i-

callie: hey, no! i left you. and i come back and you've almost been beat to death. you-you've developed an eating disorder from what i can see and you've been self-harming. i'm going to help you,ok? (puts her hand over arizona's)

arizona: ok.