Chapter 2: One Bad Apple

Start from the beginning

"A Dragon's Heart," she read aloud. "Doug, is this what I think it is?"

"Erm...what do you think it is?" he stammered, desperately reaching for it, groaning in despair as she held it out of his reach. He flopped back down in his seat, pouting. Evie saw this and smirked. Already, Doug's ears were beginning to flush scarlet.

"I think this is a manuscript for something," Evie responded. "Doug, are you writing a book?"

"No!" He answered hastily. His face turned as red as his ears. "But, um, what would you say if I was, theoretically?"

Now, Evie knew there was nothing theoretical about his statement. She also knew how to tell right off the bat when he was lying to her. He blushed scarlet whenever he tried. At least she didn't have to worry about him telling her the truth. "Well, theoretically, I'd say that sounds incredible and you should definitely let me read it."

"It's just that, you're so amazingly talented and all I can do is play the trumpet and I want to be good at something like you, Evie. Because you are smart and amazing and..." Doug rattled on hastily, clearly not hearing a word she said.

"Doug." She interrupted his train wreck by gently placing her hands upon his. "Take a breath, okay? Yes, I think you should definitely give it a try! And, who knows, you could be a great writer!"

"Really?" Doug breathed a sigh of relief as Evie lowered the bundle of papers back to the desk. "You really think so?"

"I do." Evie gave him an encouraging smile. As she handed the manuscript back, she glanced once more at the empty front of the classroom."Um...where's Mr. Delay?" she inquired. She peered over at his watch. 1:20. She frowned. She knew she'd been late, so where was their professor?

Doug shrugged, stuffing his papers back into his backpack and organizing his desk for what Evie had no doubt was the fourth or fifth time that morning.

"Has anyone seen him?" Evie went on, scanning the other students through the large test tubes. All seemed careless, horsing around or throwing paper airplanes at one another. In all the time she'd spent in Auradon, Evie had never seen the science professor be late.

Chad, Prince Charming's son, heard her comment and glanced over from his desk, flashing her a gleaming (and somewhat ominous) grin that she pointedly ignored. "Nope," he answered. "Can't say that's a bad thing though. I could use a break from all of this...work."

Evie rolled her eyes. Ever since Chad had convinced her to complete his homework in return for a 'date', she'd been wary of anything he might throw at her--in class or out. But now she wasn't alone. She had Doug. And he was more of a prince than Chad could ever be. "But, seriously, why isn't he here?" she quizzed, leaning over to whisper to Doug. "Class ends in twenty minutes! Do you suppose he's sick?"

He shrugged again. "Maybe? I'm sure Fairy Godmother is aware of what's going on, wherever Mr. Delay is."

"Does she?" Somehow, Evie wasn't convinced. "Don't you think it's kind of weird that there was no cancellation if he were sick? I mean, there is no substitute for this class is there?"

"No...?"

Evie decided what she had to do. Without stopping to doubt herself, she gathered up all of her books and papers and stood up, determined to do something about this.

Doug looked up in alarm. "Wait! Where are you going?" he questioned as she started toward the door. Scrambling to collect his backpack, he hurried after her, grabbing the doorknob seconds before she could reach it and yanking the door open for her.