Ch 9

ᵇᵒⁿᵈⁱⁿᵍ ᵗⁱᵐᵉ ᶠᵒʳ ᵗʷⁱⁿˢ

Morning came quickly as the royal twins could be found still asleep in the Emperor's quarters. Their bodies pressed against each other, feeling safe and warm in the other's embrace.

Claude was the first to awaken as he slowly opened his eyes and gazed upon his sister. Adoration shone clearly from his jeweled eyes as he hungrily took in appearance. Eyes tracing every corner of his twin's face, noting each and every change that had happened through the years that she was not beside him.

Sunlight peaked from the window and fell gently onto Claudia's peaceful face. Long eyelashes casting a soft shadow as her nose scrunched up cutely, a clear indication of her soon awakening. Strands of her golden hair fell on her face as she shifted slightly.

Seeing this, Claude reached out a hand and brushed the strands of hair to the side. A small smile filled with contentment settled upon his lips as he continued staring at the now waking girl. Eyes becoming warmer in a way no one had ever seen in years as Claudia's eyes fluttered open and gazed into his own. Identical jeweled eyes met and clashed with each other as the corner of Claudia's mouth lifted into a serene smile.

"Good morning Claude"

Her voice was but a whisper, the haziness of sleep still lingers within it's tone. Nevertheless, Claude soaked it up, treasuring every moment he had with her. Her voice, her face, her smile, everything that made Claudia, well... Claudia, the emperor cherished more than anything. In his mind, his twin could very well be covered in blood head to toe and he'd still find her enchanting.

"Good morning Cloe" he answered. His face nuzzled into her neck as he took in her scent. The smell of roses and chocolate, two of her favorite things invaded his nostrils.

Looking up, he looked into her eyes once more. "Get ready, we'll have breakfast in a minute and after that, I have something to show you."

Claude quickly stood up and trudged towards the door, ignoring Claudia's curious stare, as he called for a servant to prepare breakfast.

After breakfast was served, with all of Claudia's favorite, and eaten, the pair of twins found themselves walking down a rather familiar path. The emperor's hands was clasped into his twin's own as he led them down road lined with various types and colors of flowers.

Claudia took in the sights around her, already knowing where her twin is taking her based on the way they're going. And sure enough, when they rounded a corner, there it was. A beautiful lake surrounded by tall trees and blackberry bushes. The clear water was shining because of the sunlight hitting it's surface, giving the illusion of crystals shining in its depths.

"Our spot" Claudia breathed out. Even to this day, this place never fails to amaze her. Her and Claude had found this small patch of hidden land when they were 10 yrs old. They were hiding from their abusive mother then and stumbled accidentally inside this clearing. The tall trees and bushes hid the place in a way that if one doesn't know what they were looking for, they would never be able to find it. The hidden place had been a welcome haven and sanctuary from their mother and the judgemental look of the servants when they were little. It was 'their' place. A place where no one could harm them, and where they felt at peace. Even Anastacius never knew of this.

"Yes, 'our' spot." Claude said, looking at her intently. "Even after you disappeared, I continued to come here. Hoping, though painfully knowing, that you'd be here also."

His voice was pained, eyes glazing over and dimming as he remembered all those times he came here. How he would instinctively look around, searching for a twin he knew wasn't there. He remembered the pain and agony that followed as his mind would then unforgivingly remind him, that Claudia, his other half was dead.

Claudia for her part looked at her twin with saddened eyes. The pain in his face broke her heart. She knew she had made a mistake by bringing her guard down around the former emperor, and this leading to her magic-induced coma. And by doing so, she had missed 4 years of her brothers life, both of them. But she's here now, and she promised to herself that she would do everything in her power to make up for all those years that she's was gone.

"Here..." The Emperor took her hands in his and put something inside her palm, closing it afterwards. Claudia looked at her twin questioningly and opened her clasped fingers, eyes widening at what lays inside.

"You kept it..."

Her voice was laced with disbelief as she took in what lays atop her opened palms. For there, sitting in her hands was a round, tear-shaped stone. From afar, the object would have looked to have the color white, but upon closer inspection, one would see different shades of color adorning its surface. Furthermore, the gemstone looked polish to the point of perfection, that it looked like a rainbow coloured glass.

The stone was a gift Claudia had given her twin in the last. It was a birthday present. It was a time when she was at a lost as to what to give to her twin that she had spend all night thinking about it to no avail. She fell asleep wishing to somehow have what she wants in the morning. And sure enough, when she woke up in the morning of their birthday, this opal was found beside her pillow, glowing beautifulness and drawing her in. Without much thought, she gave it to Claude as a gift. She never knew he would still have it after all these years.

"Of course I did, you gave it to me after all." Claude answered as if it was the most obvious thing to do. He then guided his twin underneath one of the trees as they both sat down upon the soft bed of grass.

Claudia was so lost in her thought that she hadn't even noticed when Claude placed his head on her lap. Her right hand subconsciously began to pet her twin's soft hair, causing said twin to close his eyes in bliss.

"Would you sing for me?" He questioned snapping Claudia out of her thoughts.

"What song?"

"Our song"

Smiling softly, she began to sing the song she had sang to him when they were still little. A song the both of them had dubbed 'their song's

[ I'm your twin
Your my twin
We stick together through thick and thin

No matter what I do
I'm always stuck with you

And when trouble comes our way
I know my twin will save the day
Wherever you may be
You're always stuck with me

When your feeling sad and blue
Call my name, and I'll find you
We have our bond, that tried and true

You and me
Me and you
Two by two]

Her voice trailed off as she looked at the lake before her with a contented sigh. Wishing that everyday would be like this. Peaceful. But she knew in the back of her mind, sooner rather than later they had to face the world outside of this place and she had to talk to him about Diana and their soon-to-be child.

Sighing, Claudia opted for that to e dealt with later. For now, she would enjoy this moment with her twin.