Chapter One: Antlers

For thousands of years humans dominated the planet. By our very nature, we humans are linear thinkers. We evolved to estimate a distance from the predator to the prey, and advanced society. We were the blueprint. When one contemplates the streak of insanity running through human history, it appears highly probable that homosapiens are biological freaks, the result of some remarkable mistake in the evolutionary process from ape to man.

In this world though, the number of humans has become lesser and lesser. What once was a planet where humans were the apex predator; is now in its stead, a world full of anthropomorphic animals who evolved themselves into people of their own right.

~

"No way! Is that a human?"

"Yeah I think so!"

"I've never seen one in person before"

"Look at her, she has no fur!"

The stares, the pointing... it doesn't really end.

You'd think I'd be used to the whispers by now. As one of the very few humans left on this animal populated world I'm sure you can understand its a little tough out here for me. It's my first day at Cherryton High. Am I stoked? Absolutely not. I loathe new schools. It's always the same bullshit just involving new people.

I've only been here for a good five minutes and somehow I've already managed to hear about a promiscuous bunny who has her own courtyard space for her... activities. I have no doubt there will not be a dull moment here at Cherryton and to be perfectly honest I'm not sure whether I should dread it or look forward to it.

Now before we begin let me introduce myself. I'm y/n L/n. One of the few humans that still exist. I'm beginning my sophomore year at Cherryton high. I'm currently sixteen and I hate tomatoes. Now, within this world it is mostly dominated by carnivores and herbivores, However, other species are not defined by either of these classifications, because of this I am an Omnivore. I can survive off of meat, veggies, fish, ect. Now, I am aware eating meat is illegal and a punishable offense, but I'm simply explaining my human diet. Now that that's out of the way... Let's see where this shit takes me.

•••

I found my heart beating quickly, threatening to rip its way out of my chest as I thought about the myriad of possibilities of what could go wrong this year. I'm really not one for getting into drama, and I've always been the type to keep to myself. It's hard to make long lasting friends with my constant moving around and the fact I'm not considered "normal" doesn't make that any easier.

All of the animals that I had passed by in the hallway continued to gawk and stare at the sight of me.

"So... beautiful."

"What an odd species"

The whispers followed wherever I went. I decided it was best to try and tune it out and do my best to get everything I needed situated.

"Excuse me, do you know where I could find the main office? I need to get my schedule and figure out what dorm room I'm in." I'll admit, I was a little lost. Cherryton is a huge school full of a bunch of animals. I decided I'd just ask the first friendly looking person I saw for their help which is what led me to walking up to a smiling female zebra.

"Oh!" she exclaimed. "Sure! I'd love to show you the way. You're a human, right? Never seen one before." 

"Yeah." I replied, smiling awkwardly.

She began walking and I followed closely by her side. "That's so cool! I've never seen one in person before. You all look so unique and interesting" she chirped.