33.

There is one pain, I often feel, which you will never know. It's caused by the absence of you.

▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎

"Any luck?" Chris asks.

Today is the day my family is coming to take Chris back home and evaluate my boyfriend. If somehow my mom isnt convinced about Kai then I will go back home too. My life literally depends on him.

Ever since the scuffle that day, he has refused to talk to me entirely. I have been texting him, calling him, trying to locate him with no luck. He also has temporarily moved out of the dorm. Even Lucas has no idea where he is staying as of now.

I dont even know what went wrong and how the hell to fix this when he wont even talk.

I get it that he was upset because I supposedly put myself at risk but it isnt just that. Something else is wrong and I'm not quite able to put a finger on it.

"No luck." I answer with a sigh.

"Just text him about today's... event. And hope for the best. That's all you can do Elena." She suggests.

I nod. "Yeah. I'll do that." I say, thoroughly convinced that he wont make it and I'll have to go back home.

And the thing is, as much as missing a semester is disheartening, I'm more worried about Kai and I. Things are not so great between us as it is and I'm worried that we will just... fall apart. And that thought sends a dagger to my heart. Its pain like I never knew before.

-----------------------------------

Jenny is the first one to engulf me in a tight hug when they arrive at the airport.

"Ohmygod! There is sooo much I need to tell you. High school is just soo much drama. Kate's boyfriend cheated on her and yet sh..." Jenny starts rambling before Laura cuts in.

"Jenny, breathe. We have time. You can tell Elena everything later." She says to Jenny as she comes forward to hug me.

Mom is the last one. Her eyes get wet when she pulls away. "I've missed you honey." She kisses my cheek.

"Me too mom." I say as I cling to her. The relief I feel when I'm in her arms is unbeatable. I guess that's why moms are always moms. No one can take their place.

Just then Chris comes inside the airport. "Sorry the cab driver was being an ass."

At times like this I see glimpses of my old sister and it makes me just so happy. But I can also see the shadow of sadness that lurks under the surface. Some time away from here will do her good.

"Oh Christina." Mom says as she envelopes her in a tight hug.

Chris could only take so much as of now. She full on breaks down and buries her head in mom's shoulder as she sobs. Laura and Jenny are stunned to see her like this for a minute before they hug her too. And soon it turns into a family hug.

Afterwards we drive off to my dorm. Becca greets my family with her warmer than the sun smile. My mom likes her instantly. She and Jenny hit it off as well.

Mom inspects my room and everything while Becca narrates the perks of the room.

"... and Kai's room is just next door." She blurts out.

Chris and I look at each other in surprise. We don't know how mom will react to that. It's one thing to have a boyfriend and not tell her. But another for her to know he lives so close by and we possibly spend a heck lotta time together. And even... sleep over.

"Oh. I.. wasnt aware of that." Mom replies. Even though her words are simple, there is no doubting a sharp edge.

This is not good. There will be lesser and lesser chances of mom being convinced by Kai if our relationship keeps getting demerits in her head.

If he even shows up.

Chris jumps in and says, "Let's go to my dorm now, mum. I need a little help with packing as well." Then she turns to me. "Elena, meet us at the restaurant after changing at 7."

I take it that she is giving me time to track Kai down. 

Jenny whines. "Cant I stay with Elena?"

Chris pushes her out of the room. "No you are coming with me little sister."

-----------------------

My knees feel shaky as the cab driver pull outside the restaurant.

The last two hours have been spent asking about Kai to anyone who might know where he is and calling him with no luck.

At last, I just sent him a long text explaining why I really need him to be with me today.

I take a step forward and then back again and again in front the restaurant door.

Finally, I take a deep breath and go inside. I've done everything I couldve and if Kai still wants to act like a jerk then fine. I guess that's it.

I ignore the hurt I feel as I try to locate where my family is sitting.

I see Laura waving at me from behind a partition. I plaster a smile and try to come up with excuses for Kai as I make my way to the table.

"I'm sorry I'm late I just...." I say as I reach the table.

But the glimpse of Kai sitting, in the forest green suit that we bought together, on the right of Jenny, shuts me up.