[ENG] Student Profile: SEONGMIN

1. Personal Records

Student 09
Name: Ahn Seong Min
Age: 2003
School year: 2

2. Remarks

"You're Seongjun's younger brother?"

There are two meanings to this question. "Is Seongjun your older brother?" and "Then why are you like this?" Seongjun's younger brother. These three words alone change the way you look at yourself by 180 degrees. My brother is one of the best students, not just in school, but in the country. Our school is waiting for the news of what prestigious university my brother will join. For a proud placard to hang at the entrance. But I'm different from my brother. I am barely caught in the baseline of what the world refers to as average. This means that even if I learn anything, it will never compare to my smart brother who swept all kinds of competitions. So I hide my brother's existence as much as possible. Because I want to be recognized as me, not as an older brother or younger brother.

Ring ring. Today, whenever my cell phone vibrates, I get excited for no reason. It's my birthday! I don't even want a big celebration. I'm ready to be happy even with the ordinary two words of "Happy Birthday." This vibration is a little long, so it's a phone call. Surprisingly, it is my mom.

"Come home right after school today."

Then I can hear my dad's faint voice from the back.

"I'll pick up the cake."

No way. The corners of my mouth go up without realizing it. I have never received a proper birthday celebration in the past few years. They must've remembered it exactly this year because I made it obvious that I was disappointed last year. For some reason, it's a good day. I leave my friend behind who bought me some tteokbokki for my birthday and head home. My steps are a little light.

I managed my facial expressions and sneaked into the house. I expected something like a surprise firecracker, but there's nothing like that. Well. It would be too childish anyway. Instead, my dad looks at me and smiles brightly. It's a strange expression because it's something I don't usually see. Mom is finishing cooking with an excited face. There is a generous meal on the table. Behind the sofa, you can see the end of the gift box that is too big to be covered. If you want to hide it, make sure to hide it. If I'm already happy, it'll look a bit old-fashioned, right?

Perhaps they were surprised by the sudden sound of someone pressing the password of the front door because they started working faster. Just in time, my brother comes in. Even after taking the CSAT, my brother is more focused on studying than on enjoying freedom. How is he even human? Mom quickly pulls out firecrackers and tosses them to Dad. Dad puts one of them in my hand in a hurry. What is this?

"Surprise! Congratulations! My son!"

Unknowingly, I participate in the fireworks a beat late. That's strange. This is something I should hear, but why congratulate him? My mom hurriedly brings the cake. The words "Congrats on getting into Seoul National University" are on the cake. Whether it was custom-made or not, the quality is considerable. The cake goes to my brother without it staying by my side for even a moment. And then I realized. I'm not the main character here. I'm still my brother's sidekick today. Tears suddenly burst out of sadness. Shame on you.

Of all things, my mom noticed my change in mood.

"Seongmin, are you crying? Are you that happy that your brother got into Seoul National University?"

Mom and dad look moved. They make a fuss, saying, "You are such a nice younger brother." This is the first compliment I heard from the two of you this year. A compliment that only exists thanks to my brother. My brother looks at me without any expression as if he is familiar with this scenery. I can't stand it. "It's my birthday today!" I imagined for a very short time if I should scream. I hoped that this was a joke to celebrate my birthday. However, the atmosphere freezes in an instant. "Oh, that's right." The brief embarrassment from my father's mouth drives me crazy. No one in my family knew it was my birthday. My parents' eyes toward me are saying, "Did you have to say it now and ruin the good atmosphere?" Even at this moment, the tears that formed in the atmosphere of blaming me dried up in an instant.

I quietly went to my room. Will there ever be a day when I get out of my brother's shadow? I will continue to be compared and ignored. It's raining outside the window. As if tears were falling. The worst birthday of my life is coming to an end.