The Second Attempt

Start from the beginning

"We'll be ready for Grimmel." Drago motion to the activity behind him. "And for Berk if you decide to interfere."

"So what, you plan to start a three way war? How do you think that is going to work out?"

"Pretty well, actually."

Talk about confidence. "You do realize Grimmel is working with dragons who are designed to kill Night Furies, don't you?"

"That's why I gathered the rest of these dragons. They're all dedicated to the cause of saving their species from humans." He gave her a smug look.

Ingrid sighed. This was not working. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Eira and Toothless engaging with a few Night Furies a good distance away from Drago. Ingrid knew she had to at least keep Drago distracted so he did not interfere. "Why are you so obsessed with safety? Some of the best things in life happen by taking risks. That's how you learn and grow."

"There is no need to learn and grow if you've already achieved the ultimate goal."

"But safety isn't it! What about friendship and love? Or adventure and discovery? There is a whole wide world out there full of different places and people, and you would limit the dragons to a cave."

"It's not like dragons are defenseless," Snotlout added. "They can take care of themselves."

"And we can improve their lives through the use of our own inventions and medicines," said Valka.

Drago seemed to consider this for a minute. "If that's how you feel, you should gather all the dragon lovers and move into the Hidden World with the dragons!"

Ingrid shook her head. "And give up on the rest of the world? I don't think so." She noticed Eira and Toothless were now gone, along with Luna. She hoped they were having better luck than her.

***

Eira watched Toothless' failed attempts to convince the other Night Furies to join their side and increasingly lost hope in the endeavor. If they wanted to change their minds, this was not the way. She wished there was some way to prove to them that what they wanted to do was wrong. When Luna approached her, she was reminded that this dragon may be easier to convince since she was currently at odds with her flock.

Eira gently suggested to Toothless that they talk to Luna in private, and then the three of them moved further into the trees. Luna's expression was sour as she stalked through the grass. "It's going to be alright," Eira said gently. "We can help you get your friends back, but you have to trust us." She paused,  thinking about just where the Light Fury stood in the situation. "Why exactly are you upset with Drago? Do you still want to keep your deal with Grimmel?"

Luna growled at Grimmel's name, so Eira took that as a yes. "Okay. Do you want to send dragons to the Hidden World on your own?" This time she looked away. "Perhaps you wish to use persuasion instead of force?" Toothless nudged Luna's side while they walked, and she looked at him. Then Toothless gave Eira a low growl of ascent. The Viking nodded. So, Luna still thought retreating to the Hidden World was a good idea but no longer believed in the use of force to accomplish the goal. This was a start.

"If that is the case, then we can definitely work out our differences. One of us has to be right. Why don't you start by showing me your perspective? Show me why the Hidden World is such a great place for dragons." Eira watched Luna while Toothless said something to her. After a minute, Luna took off running. Toothless pushed his head between Eira's legs, causing her to fall on his back, and ran after her.

Eira soon realized their destination: the Hidden World itself. A lone Night Fury guarded the entrance of the cave. Well, she was probably supposed to guard the entrance, but she was currently curled up in a ball like a cat in front of it, fast asleep. Luna paused at the entrance to look back at Toothless before flying inside. "Looks like we're going in," said Eira.