Twenty-Four

Liam

"You're here!" She exclaims after opening her front door. "I didn't think you'd actually come." Engulfing me in a hug. I pat her on the back, before pulling out of her embrace. Her eyes saddened at my action but immediately turning her attention towards Trish and Chloe. "I'm glad that you guys came, please come inside out of the cold." She goes to hold the door for us.

"Lydia, you have a lovely home," Trish gushes looking around at the interior.

"Thank you, Trish," Lydia smiles. "Most of the decor doesn't belong to me." She assures.

My eyes scan the white walls, noticing family portraits. I make my way to them, examining the people in them. "Who do they belong to?" Trish questions.

"Her husband," I say before Lydia could answer. I take the wedding picture off the wall, holding it so everyone can see. She got married. That's how she could afford to live in this new fancy home. Chloe walks towards me, concern in her eyes. She wraps her small hands around my arm, eyeing me as I keep my focus on the photograph.
"Um, yeah. This is my husband's house, I just recently moved in." Lydia explains.

The atmosphere in the room immediately shifts. You can feel the tension. No one speaks a word. Just stands in our spots looking around, waiting for one to break the silence. Every bone in me wants to storm out and drive as far as I can. Of course, she's married, there's no way she would afford a place like this.

My eyes scan over more of the photos displayed on the wall. More wedding photos, and some of just him with kids. I shift my attention towards Lydia and back to the kids in the pictures. Are they her's or his from a previous marriage?

"So," Lydia breaks the attention. "Shall we head into the dining area to eat?"

Trish looks over towards me, probably waiting for a sign if I'm alright. I nod my head to them both, not confident to allow words to leave my lips.

******

My eyes stay focus on the food served on my plate. Cutting into the meat, trying to keep tune out their conversation and waiting for the count down to the end so we can finally leave. My bubble pops by someone's foot nudging mine, I turn my head in the direction I felt it coming from.

Chloe softly smiles at me before mouthing, 'Are you okay?' I simply nod my head. Just by her eyes, I knew she didn't believe me.

"Where's the bathroom?" Chloe randomly questions.

"There's actually one outside the entrance we came in from, just go right and it's the first door you see," Lydia tells her.

"Thank you." Chloe gets up, winks at me before leaving the room.

Was that a hint to follow her? I wait a few seconds before getting up without saying a word to go follow her. There's a light on behind the door Lydia told her was the bathroom. I listen closely before knocking on the door. She opens the door slowly and allows me to enter. Showing me her beautiful smile, but it slowly vanishes.

"Now, how are you truly?" She takes a hold of my jacket, looking up at me.

Averting my eyes away from her, running a hand through my hair. "Angry," I answer. "She started a whole new life without even trying to reconnect with me. She got married and I didn't even know about it. Next thing I know it, she probably has kids with the man or she's having his baby."

My eyes look back at Chloe, seeing her focus on my chest. Rubbing her hand along it. "I understand," She said softly. "You have every right to be angry, I would be too." She looks up at me, "If you want to leave, we can. Just remember at least she reached out now and is trying to rekindle everything she's done." She pulls on my shirt. "It's your choice."

Nodding my head, while processing what she said to me. "Okay."

"Do you know what you want to do?"

Not bothering to say a word, I take her hand and lead her out of the bathroom back towards the dining area. Just to see a man standing next to Lydia, along with two other people sitting at the table.

"Luke," She acknowledges my presents returning to the room. "This is Scott, my husband," I feel Chloe's other hand be placed on my upper arm. "He and his kids came back early from their trip so I offer for them to join us."

"Chloe and I are actually leaving," I immediately leave the room and speed walk towards the front door. Wanting to be far from this place as possible.

------------

Twitter- audrealife

Instagram- audreaslife