28. It Can Happen To Anyone

Start from the beginning

"I'm so happy you're happy but please Garci you cannot let Spencer know that you know," I whispered.

"We've agreed to keep it between us but I just had to tell someone you know? I'm just so excited," I admitted. "And, like, it's our first anniversary next week."

"It's what?!" She squealed, halting in the midst of her house-excitement to stare at me with a parted mouth.

"It's what?" Emily echoed, entering the conference room with JJ. I frantically looked outside to find Rossi, Spencer and Morgan all chatting outside my dad's office. I breathed quickly and looked urgently at the others.

"Okay, please, don't say anything because I'm not sure if we're making a big deal out of it or not. But Spencer and me have been together a year as of next week."

"A year?" Emily gushed. "Already?! Wow." She whistled under her breath and shook her head in awe, taking a seat at the table.

"Your first anniversary already?" JJ asked, shaking her head with a broad smile. "In some ways it doesn't seem it but in other ways it seems like you guys have been together forever."

"Because they will be together forever Jayje." Penelope said, rolling her eyes ironically as we took our seats at the table.

"Who'll be together forever baby girl?" Morgan asked as the other half of our team entered the conference room.

Spencer ran his hand along my shoulders subconsciously as he took to his seat next to me, our hands automatically lacing beneath the table where no one could see them.

"Prince William and Kate. They got their happily ever after." Penelope said without missing a single beat.

*

"So I was thinking."
"Oh that's dangerous."
"Hush up Mel," Caitlyn laughed down the phone that evening, Spencer digging out take-away menus from one of his kitchen drawers as I lolled around on the sofa.

We hadn't had any urgent cases to take that day so we'd ended reviewing a few questionable ones and finishing with a few reports.

"I'm being serious, I've been having a think of what we could do next time you're free from work," She said and I nodded my head and hummed in reply, flipping through channels to find something good to watch on TV.

"And I was thinking, why don't I bring Ben and Daisy to see you?" I almost choked and was completely stunned into silence.

"You're serious?" I asked Caitlyn after a long pause and she hummed in response.

"I explained how I met up with you the other week and they're so buzzed to see you. I know you're moving in with Spencer,"

I'd blurted the whole thing out to her within the first minute of our conversation as Spence had played with my hair and chuckled at my school-girl excitement.

"So I get that things will be a little crazy even when you're at work never mind your days off. So maybe in a couple weeks I could bring them over to Spencer's and we could...

"I don't know, maybe help you unpack or something? Maybe then they could meet Spencer. It sounds like you guys are pretty serious, and if that's the case they'll need to get used to being around him."

"Oh my goodness Caity," I cooed, covering my face with my hand. "You need to stop talking before I start crying." I mumbled as Spencer exited the kitchen.

He crossed the room and plopped down on the sofa beside me, pulling me around so my head was laid on his lap sideways. He had several take-away menus in his hand and had read them all by the time Caitlyn had finished saying,