Chapter 3

"Marshall Bain please head to the principal's office," said the secretary through the school's announcement radio.

I grimaced at the sound of my full name but also groaned not wanting to go there.

What did the old man want from me now?

Confused, I paused my notes and looked at my chemistry teacher, who only with a shrug motioned for me to leave the classroom.

Complying not looking for any trouble I headed towards the second floor and stood in front of his office. Hallways were empty and I had a subtle urge to just ditch the school, but instead, I knocked onto his door and opened it up, only to be faced with the little fairy girl.

We bumped into each other and at first, I don't think she recognized me until her lips fell apart and pupils dilated ever so slightly. She was about to say something before Mr. Clark beat her to it.

"Marshall! Apologize for the announcement, but I wanted to have a quick chat," he said from the back. "Come seat."

Switching my attention back to the girl her cheeks grew a shade of red before she squeaked out, "I will see you later uncle!" and walked right past me.

Uncle?

"Right," I cleared my throat and closed the door before taking a seat. "Did I do something?" I muttered unsure of why he would call me during our first week back.

I haven't even sold any weed! Yet...

His smiley expression quickly became serious as he tapped onto his left cheek. "Did something happen?" he asked with concern.

Scolding myself for not hiding the bruise properly I shook my head. "No, sir. I'm doing just fine."

"Marshall, I called you in because of Mark and..."

"Teacher?" I finished for him. "What do they want from me now?"

His eyes were always so full of warmth that I craved but also didn't want to accept. Their kindness was momentary, and its sudden lack would cause even more pain.

"They are worried about you..." he began with a sigh. "Alexis keeps asking if you came to school and doing okay. Why haven't you visited them during your break? She really wants to see you."

Shifting in the seat I puffed my cheeks in frustration.

"I told them if something happens, I will come over," I grumbled, and added a tone quieter. "They should just forget about me."

"Marshall, don't say that. They really care about you," principal trailed stepping onto the forbidden ground.

"Is that all sir? I would like to go back to my class," I cut him short and pulled myself up from the chair.

He nodded with approval not pushing further into the topic, and I quickly went back to my classroom having her on my mind.

Teacher was an enigma.

We met about a year ago, and never did I have anyone look at me the way she did. Her bright green eyes have instantly pierced my soul with sorrow, love, and longing.

My first thought was, did we know each other?

However, I was certain I would never forget if we did, yet the way she kept staring at me was as if she knew me. She tried to go for a hug, almost as if unconsciously, but quickly stopped herself and left the room for a few minutes. Her behavior was always confusing, she was very professional, yet there were moments where I saw her break.

I began to call her 'teacher' since it was more comfortable for me to call her that, rather than miss or Alexis. Whenever I came by the institution, she was always there to spare me her time. She listened and guided me whenever I asked for it, but also remained silent whenever I wanted some peace of mind.