Chapter 37: That's MY cake!!

***

I woke up to the sunlight pouring into our bedroom. I rolled over and grabbed my phone off the side-table. I turned it on and saw my favorite picture ever, it was of me on Corey’s back holding a giant stuffed teddy bear he won me at the fair. My phone read 10:17, Corey was probably at morning practice right now, he’ll be back in about an hour or so.

I got up and walked into our massive walk-in closet and pulled out my running clothes, which consisted of my red, Blackhawks sports bra, black and white leggings, my red Hawks sweat shirt with Corey’s #50 on the back, and my custom red, white and black Nike running shoes with the Indian head on the side.

I put my stuff on, grabbed my phone and ear buds, and took off out the door to go for my morning run, while listening to Bleed It Out by Linkin Park… Corey’s favorite song.

Yeah here we go for the hundredth time

Hand grenade pins in every line

Throw 'em up and let something shine

Going out of my f****** mind

Filthy mouth, no excuse

Find a new place to hang this noose

String me up from atop these roofs

Knot it tight so I won't get loose

Truth is you can stop and stare

Run myself out and no one cares

Dug a trench out, laid down there

With a shovel up out of reach somewhere

Yeah someone pour it in

Make it a dirt dance floor again

Say your prayers and stomp it out

When they bring that chorus in…

I sang along to every word. I loved this song…. almost as much as Corey did.

I came back to the house to find Corey sitting on the couch, stuffing his face with MY Portillo’s chocolate cake.

“Corey? What’s wrong with this picture?” I asked.

“Uhh… I don’t know.”

“First of all, you just got back from practice, eat an apple, not cake. Second of all, you have a game tonight, so again, eat something healthy. Lastly, that my cake, you finished your last night after the game!” I as I walked over to him and took the remaining cake away. I brought it back to the counter and set it down. I reached across and grabbed an apple.

“Corey! THINK FAST!” I yelled as I turned around and whipped it at him.

He caught it, just like he was stopping a puck.

“Nice try babe.” He snickered.

I walked over to him and punched him in the upper arm.

“Owww!!” He wailed, pretending like it hurt.