Chapter Three: Betrayal

"Chris, I'm going to the store, wanna come?" I asked the next morning as I walked downstairs, putting my hair up along the way. Chris was sitting on the couch with a video game controller in his hands, his eyes focused on the TV screen. For a moment I found myself wondering if he'd even heard me.
"Nah I'm good. Get me some Doritos though," he responded, never looking away from the screen. I rolled my eyes but couldn't contain a smile. Slipping on my shoes and grabbing my purse, I kissed his cheek and left, shutting the door behind me. Every time I was alone I found myself thinking about how much Chris has changed. With every day that passes, he seems to be losing more and more of his anger that he used to have to try so hard to suppress. Sometimes we had our arguments, but they were rare, and he handled them a lot better than he used to.
Instead of thinking of how much Chris has changed, I found myself thinking about Amy as I pushed the cart through the store. I was only halfway paying attention to what I was buying, since the other half of my mind was still trying to figure out why she had come here. If she tricked Chris and escaped from him, why return after these few years? She didn't love him, that much was obvious. If she did she wouldn't have tried to escape. So what possible reason would she have for being here? The only thing she could gain would be to get revenge against Chris for kidnapping her, and I shuddered just thinking about all of the ways that was possible.
Suddenly, I felt nervous about leaving Chris home alone. It wasn't like he couldn't protect himself; he was very capable of that. But what if something happened to him? I could never live with myself if I came home only to find him gone, or being arrested. I knew there was no real proof that he'd done anything wrong, but Amy had a point. He's been to court over rape before because of me. The police wouldn't hesitate to investigate him if he was reported for another rape. It would be too coincidental and he might be thrown in jail for something he didn't do.
I picked up the pace as I finished getting the groceries and went to pay for them at the checkout. I wanted to get home to Chris as soon as possible, so when I had paid for everything and gotten out of the store, I walked quickly to my car. Five minutes later, I was pulling out of the parking lot and heading back home.
Thankfully, the house wasn't that far away, so in a matter of minutes I was pulling back into the driveway. Chris' other Lambo was still here, thank God. I didn't know why I was being so paranoid. I let out a deep breath, resting my head against the steering wheel to compose myself before I went inside. When I had finally calmed down, I got out of the car and lifted up the grocery bags, hauling them up to the door. Chris should really be helping me with these bags. Instead he's just gonna sit inside and play his game all day. I shook the thought away and opened the door, expecting to see Chris exactly where I left him. Only he wasn't there.
"Chris?" I put down the grocery bags and glanced around the room. His controller was still on the couch and the game was paused, but he wasn't in the room. I shrugged, assuming he was busy, and picked up the bags again to put them in the kitchen. However, right before I turned into the kitchen I heard a familiar female voice.
"...It could be like that again, you know...I'm sorry I left you," the voice said seductively. My heart leapt in my chest when I realized that the voice belonged to Amy. Please let me be wrong. Please let Chris not be in there. Please let this be a joke. But I knew it wasn't.
"I don't love you anymore. Maybe I did...once. But that was a long time ago, and I'm over it now. I'm happy with Bri," Chris' voice replied, his tone firm. I closed my eyes and listened to the pounding of my heart in my chest, breathing deeply. I just wanted to leap into the kitchen and throw Amy out of the house, but something told me to stay and listen. I wanted to make sure Chris was going to stay by his word. It wasn't that I didn't trust him, but my gut just told me to wait and make sure nothing happened.
"Come on...no one will have to know what happens..." Her voice was a whisper, and I heard her hands moving against fabric. I took the risk and peered around the corner. Chris stood with his back to me, and I saw Amy staring up at him, her hands resting on his shoulders. I could see how tense he was, but jealousy flared up inside me when I saw her touching him. I can't believe this!!!
"Amy I'm sorry, I just don't-" she cut him off by leaning up and pressing her lips to his. It felt like time stopped, and I just stood there staring in shock. Instead of instantly jerking away, Chris made a sound of surprise and leaned in just a little, pushing Amy back against the counter. Amy pulled away, and I was frozen in place when I saw the smug expression on her face.
"Old habits die hard, Chris. You're still an amazing kisser." She winked at him, and I just couldn't take it anymore.
"Get OUT!" I yelled, causing both of their heads to snap up. When Chris saw me his eyes widened and he blushed, opening his mouth to say something. No words came out. I glanced at Amy to see that her smirk had widened, and I had an overwhelming urge to punch her. Instead, I looked back up at Chris, feeling the tears in my eyes. I can't believe he kissed her back. He actually listened to what she had to say. He let her into our house. He didn't kick her out. He probably didn't plan on telling me about the kiss! Chris noticed my tears and reached out helplessly.
"Sabrina-"
"Shut up! Don't talk to me!" Before I could do anything to embarrass myself further, I spun around and fled the kitchen, grabbing my car keys on the way out and slamming the front door behind me as I raced towards my car. My emotions were all over the place. I could barely think with all of the betrayal racing through my mind.
I finally managed to start the car and pull out of the driveway, hating the fact that I had entrusted my heart to Chris and he had destroyed it. I fucking saw him kiss her. I saw it with my own eyes! I wiped my tears with one hand as I focused on the road, knowing I only had one place to go besides a hotel. I made my way there as fast as possible.

Red opened the door after I had rung the doorbell twice. He squinted as the bright sunlight hit his face, but he recognized me easily enough.
"Bri? What are you doing here?" He sounded confused, especially when he noticed the tears running down my face.
"C-can I stay here tonight? Please?" Anything would be better than going back to my house. I couldn't bear to face Chris and relive the image of his lips pressed to Amy's.
"Yeah, yeah of course." He let me in immediately, shutting the door behind me and giving me a worried look. "What happened Bri?" I just shook my head, mumbling that I'd tell him later if I was up to it. He nodded in an understanding way and put his arm around my shoulders, helping me up the stairs. I leaned heavily on him as he led me down the hall and into a small bedroom that looked like the guest bedroom. "You can stay here for tonight. If you need anything just call me." I was never more thankful for having Red as a friend than I was in that moment.
"T-thank you." I finished wiping my tears and managed a weak half-smile, which probably looked more like a grimace. Once he left the room, I collapsed onto the floor and began sobbing. It hurt worse than I could imagine to see Chris with Amy. It felt like my heart was being torn in half, filled with betrayal and rejection. Why did she have to come into our lives? Why couldn't she have stayed in Florida or wherever it was she was living before? I hated her more than I could put into words, but right now my hurt overwhelmed my hatred. I could do nothing but cry.

About an hour later, I was finally able to compose myself somewhat. Tears never helped anything, as my mother used to say. I had to be strong and actually do something instead of crying about it. My knees and back ached from sitting in the same position on the wood floor for so long, but when I stood to get up I noticed a flash of silver under the bed. Curiously, I lifted up the coverlet and was shocked to find a pair of handcuffs under the bed. They were dusty, and looked like they had been forgotten about a long time ago. My throat closed up with more tears when they reminded me of Chris, and I instantly dropped them to the floor. They clattered against the wood, and I turned away, not able to look at them any longer. Then I remembered what Chris had told me a few nights ago: "I ran here, and went to Red's house... One day when Red was out, I got the idea to start...kidnapping girls and raping them."
I gasped and backed up against the door. How could I have forgotten so easily? Chris brought girls to Red's house and raped them... If this was the only guest bedroom, then this is where he did it at. And those must be his handcuffs. I turned my face away and felt the tears rolling down my cheeks again. Everywhere I looked I saw Chris. I couldn't escape him, not even for a single night when I needed to be alone and not see him. The thing that made me feel the angriest, though, was the fact that my love for him didn't lessen. I loved him just as much as I did yesterday, maybe even more. But him cheating on me just made me feel like he took that love for granted. I couldn't stand it.
One night here at Red's... Then I'll sort things out tomorrow. I have to stop avoiding my problems; it's time to start facing them.

_______________________________________
A/N You guys like? :) Trying to get back on my Wattpad game and update a lot more often. Once again, high school is making it difficult (I'm a freshman I'm still getting used to it bleh) but once I get the hang of it I'll definitely update more :D comment which story you'd like me to update next. I love reading all of the comments you guys write! ^_^ Also, I put a little easter egg in this chapter. If anyone remembers, in "Fate" Chris was pissed off because he forgot his handcuffs at Red's house when he moved into his new house. Sabrina found those same handcuffs in this chapter. Just thought that was a cool sort've connection, what'd you guys think?