Chapter 8 : Realization

Rouge is having a birthday party today after school. She's actually pretty rich and her party is going to be held in a club that her aunt owns. I mean I know we're all 18 and above but...a club? Really? I can already sense all the couples being drunk and having sex after that.

Obviously the party is at Friday night. I go there with Sonic and the others. None of us have ever been to a club before, not even Shadow who's already more popular than us. When we arrive, there's this security or bouncer that checks our name on the list before we can go inside.

Boy, this place is a mess.

The light is pretty dim but there are also some flashing colorful lights coming from the dance floor, it's honestly hurting my eyes. The music is pretty loud, I mean I shouldn't be surprised since it's a nightclub. Most importantly since this is a birthday party there are balloons and confettis everywhere. There's this huge sign above the DJ's head with the word "Happy 19th Birthday, Rouge" on it. Oh and there's a table where we're supposed to put our gift for her.

"Yay! Shadow's at my party!" Rouge quickly ran up to us and give Shadow a big hug.

"Hey Rouge, happy birthday" Shadow smiled and hug her back.

"Thanks! So guys, what do you think about the place?" She let go of the hug and look at all of us.

"It's such a fun place for parties, that's for sure!" Sonic said and make her laugh.

"Well I hope you guys will enjoy the rest of the party. You can get yourself anything to eat from that tab-"

"CAKE" Sonic then disappear to get himself a cake.

Rouge blink in surprise since she didn't even get to finish her sentence before Sonic dashed away.

"We'll be fine, thanks Rouge" Shadow smiled and Rouge nodded.

She walk away and hang out with her other group of friends. Mephiles and I decided to look for a place to sit while Shadow try to get Sonic away from the food table. We found this empty table by the wall, the table is surrounded by a sofa. Soon later Shadow came while dragging Sonic by his wrist.

"This guy's about to take the entire damn cake all to himself" Shadow said.

"But it's chocolate!" Sonic complained as he sit next to me.

"You have to realize that cake isn't just for you" I said and he start pouting.

I don't know about them but the place is definitely more crowded than before. Most of them already recognize Shadow. The four of us sit here, just talking and enjoying the food and there would be at least two or three group of girls coming towards our table just to talk to Shadow. Of course at a time like this I have to see how Sonic is doing and he is not that happy. He is pouting, whenever there's a girl coming he would fold his arms and pout. Gee, Shadow would probably ignore them if you could just tell him his feelings. What an idiot.

Suddenly, while Sonic and Shadow are busy talking to each other, Mephiles leaned closer to me and whisper at my ear.

"Should we leave these two alone?" He asked.

"You know what? You're right" I whispered back. Mephiles then stand up from the seat and so did I.

"Hey Shadow, Silver and I are going over to the dance floor" he said and took my hand.

"Oh sure, have fun" Shadow smiled at us and I could see Sonic blushing. He must have realize it that they're gonna be alone at the table.

Sonic's POV

"See ya!" Silver smiled and walk away with Mephiles, leaving me and Shadow alone.

I start to get nervous, I mean I shouldn't be since we're not completely alone but you know what I mean!

"Sonic, can I be honest with you?"

WHAT.

What is this? Why is Shadow saying that? What the heck? My heart can't stop pounding. I don't know if this is because of the sugar I ate from the cake or because of something else.

"Sure Shadow" I smiled and try to act as calm as I could.

"I really hate it when people act as if they're friends with me when they actually are not...like those annoying group of girls that keeps showing up" He sighed and stare at the table.

Oh. I actually thought he wanted to...ah, nevermind.

"I mean if I were you I'd be annoyed too, Shadow" I said and he move his eyes to look at me. "You're not obliged to be nice to everyone! If you're annoyed you have every right to tell them to fuck off! The most important thing is to keep yourself happy, you know?"

He smiled and me nodded his head at me "you're right. Thank you Sonic, you always know how to cheer me up, that's the more reason why I- uh-"

I tilt my head in confusion when he suddenly stop himself from finishing his words.

"Why you what?" I asked.

"Uhh..." he avert his eyes away before looking at me again "why I...cherish you as my best friend so much" he smiled.

"Aww thanks Shadow!" I smiled back.

Well at least I did something to make him happy. I really don't like it when Shadow seem so sad or upset, he deserves all the love in the world!

We talk for a while, I have to say that being alone with him isn't always so bad. I should stop being so nervous about it because Shadow doesn't know my feelings anyway!

"You know, I'm actually kind of jealous of my own brother" Shadow chuckled.

"Mephiles? Why is that?" I asked.

"He got himself a boyfriend, you know? He looks really happy despite not showing his mouth to smile that often"

He stare at the two hedgehogs and I shift my gaze to stare too. I have to admit they do look really cute. Silver is laughing while Mephiles is holding him close, they look like they're having so much fun on the dance floor.

"Actually, umm...I kinda feel the same way" I chuckle nervously.

"Really?" He asked.

"Yeah, I've been wanting to have a boyfriend, but who will like a hedgehog like me?" I laughed.

"Hey!" I startle when I hear Shadow shout at me "you shouldn't say that to yourself, Sonic! You're wonderful just the way you are!" I gasp a little when he suddenly take my hand.

"Sh-Shadow...um...thank you, that means a lot" I smiled. I can already tell by myself that I'm probably blushing right now.

"I'm sure you'll find someone perfect, Sonic" he smiled and let go of my hand.

"Thank you Shadow, I hope you also found the perfect boyfriend" I smiled back.

Wait a second, I just realize something. Shadow...prefers to have boyfriend over girlfriend?! All this time I thought he prefers to be with a girl! Does- does that mean I have a chance to be with him?!