05 | ducks?

coach bombay decided to take his kids all skating on this one frozen pond that he said he played on as a kid, and then he would take us home.  "bye peter!" the conway twins yelled before peter walked into his house, shutting the front door behind him.

it's only olivia and charlie in the car now. well, besides coach bombay, of corse. they arrived at their apartment, and coach bombay got out to hug them and say his goodbyes. coach handed charlie his hockey bag, "here you go." he said.

"thanks." charlie thanked him. "thanks for the ride, coach!" liv also thanked him. "you two did real well in practice today." coach bombay complimented. "let me ask you something," coach said, the twins nodding ; practically saying 'go on'. "what happened to your dad?" bombay asked. olivia and her brother shared glances,

"mom, liv and i left him. i don't really remember, but that's what mom says." charlie explained. "yeah. we were only one year old when we left." liv added. "y'know, when i was a kid, i had to take care of my mother and sibling too." coach told them. "really?" charlie asked, coach bombay nodding. "what happened to your dad?" liv asked. "he passed away. right after i turned thirteen." their coach answered, liv and charlie looking at their feet.

"you guys do a good job taking care of your mom. and each other." gordon told them. olivia and charlie looked at each other and smiled. "it's what families are for." liv replied to bombay with a smile.

"bye bye, conway twins." coach said and started to walk away. "hey, coach, what's that?" charlie stopped him, pointing to his shirt. bombay looked down, charlie bringing his hand up and lightly hitting coach  bombay on the nose. "woah!" the older man exclaimed.

"victory!" liv declared, taking coach bombay's beanie off his head and putting it on her own. "come here you little squirts!" their coach laughed, grabbing the two twins. he started to tickle then, making olivia conway and her brother drop their bags and sticks, falling onto the snowy ground.

"you've just entered the tickling zone!" coach laughed, tickling the two younger conways, them trying to wiggle and squirm away from him but it's no use. "i've gotcha now!" bombay joked, the three of them laughing extremely hard, yet also fighting back.

~

"woah!" they all exclaimed, while skating across the bridge. liv nudged connie, and pointed to the glass window that they were rollerblading next to. the team was just roller blading across the mall instead of practicing hockey, because coach bombay found out the only reason fulton wasn't on the team or playing hockey is because he can't skate.

so, bombay was teaching him how while liv and the rest of the team just rollerbladed around. rollerblading is basically the exact same thing as ice skating, besides on normal floor and not ice.

they skated through the doors, waiting for coach bombay and fulton, who was trailing behind them. "great! follow me!" coach bombay instructed, but fulton had other plans. not purposely, he just couldn't control himself on skates yet, but he ended up going down the stairs and bumping into a lady, who fell into a fountain.

olivia and averman looked at each other, trying to hold in their laughter. lester averman anx olivia conway were known as the 'trouble makers', and the 'insane duo', because they were constantly pranking, and well, making trouble.

the whole team was olivia's best friends, but averman and connie were the top level ones. she was closer to them two than anyone else. besides charlie, of corse.

they caught back up to fulton, and started skating around again, getting all kinds of stares. they passed by the foodcourt and goldberg snatched a pretzel right out of some boy's hand, getting a 'hey!' in response, that he ignored and continued skating.

eventually, fulton got the hang of it and was now apart of the team.

~

coach lifted a green, yellow, and purple jersey up, and it had a duck in hockey gear on the front. "the ducks? we're the ducks?!" jesse questioned. "man, what brain-dead jerk came up with that name?" peter asked with a scrunched up nose. "as a matter of fact, i did. but i didn't have a choice. we're being sponsored." coach bombay explained. "by who? donald and daisy?" averman joked and they all laughed in response.

"hey, you don't wanna be ducks? you'd rather be district five? some stupid number?" coach bombay asked. "better than some stupid animal." peter answered. "i'll have you know, peter, that the duck is one of the most noble, agile, and intelligent creatures of the animal kingdom." coach bombay informed. "but they're wimpy!" olivia spoke. "they don't even have teeth." guy agreed.

"neither do hockey players." coach bombay said, getting laughs and nods. "now, have you guys ever seen a flock of ducks flying in perfect formation? it's beautiful, the way they all stick together. ducks never say die. ever seen a duck fight? no way. why? because the other animals are afraid. they know. that if they mess with one duck, they've gotta mess with the whole flock. take what olivia did to mcgill for example!" coach pointed liv out, everyone looking at her with smiles and chuckles.

coach bombay then ripped his coat and scarf off, revealing the same duck jersey that he was just holding up, but with 'bombay' on the back of it. the team laughed and teased, "i'm proud to be a duck. and i'd be proud to fly with any one of you. so how 'bout it? who's a duck?" coach bombay asked.

silence.

finally, "i'll be a duck." fulton reed said and walked over to get a jersey. "yeah....i'll be a duck too!" olivia stood up and charlie followed, the rest of the team following as well, grabbing their jerseys.

~

the two girls were getting dressed back into their regular clothes and shoes, "hey, you should come over tonight." connie suggested, putting her arm through her shirt. "oh my gosh yes. i'll ask my mom, she'll probably say yes and then charlie will want to go to guy's house." liv assumed, buttoning her overalls. she laughed a bit and sat down to put her socks and sneakers on, olivia doing the same. "we should pull an all nighter!" the brunette suggested, standing up and walking to the mirror. "omg yes. and prank call!" connie added another idea.

olivia flipped her head over, "brush please" liv said while holding out her hand, connie handing her the hairbrush. she brushed the back, front, and sides of her scalp, smoothing her hair before slicking it into a loose ponytail.

connie grabbed her hockey bag and swung it over her shoulder, throwing liv hers and following her motions. they walked out of the locker room, out of the rink and into the parking lot, where they met their parents. olivia walked up to her mom, "mom, can i stay at connie's tonight?"

"sure, i don't care, sweetie." casey answered and charlie looked at her, "can i go to guy's then?!" he asked. olivia looked at her best friend behind her, who giggled. "fine, fine, sure." casey conway answered charlie. he ran over to guy, who asked his mom and she said yes, so the three got into the car and drove off.

connie asked her mom if the conway sister could come. she said yes, so liv hugged her mother goodbye, welcomed with a kiss on the cheek before they went separate ways.

<3