becoming the sun you needed

Miss Gilbert is feeling down
or
Harlem and annoying sixth graders cheer up Miss Gilbert
———

Harlem walks into the classroom, on his phone, late as usual.

"Ooh Harlem, now that you're here you can help me take attendance." Miss Gilbert says in a rather strained optimistic voice.

With a sigh, Harlem shoves his phone in his pocket and grabs the clipboard from the teacher's desk
"Alright Miss G." He says silently marks the children one by one.

A few minutes pass and Miss Gilbert is passing out a book about Rome for them to popcorn read.

'Of course Miss G would pick Rome.' Harlem thought to himself as he draws little doodles on his arm in permanent marker.

———

By the time the reading finishes, Harlem's whole left arm is covers in different pictures, doodles and shapes. Harlem inspects his arm looking very pleased with it.

"Now who can tell me who was the last ruler in Rom-" The teacher said before she's interrupted by the recess bell.

The children run out the door after hearing the sound of the bell.

"Well that was interesting learning about Rome, wouldn't you say TA?"

Harlem perks up at the name TA, also taking notice of the false cheeriness.

"Yeah.. very cool Miss G." Harlem says knowing fully well he wasn't listening.

"Could be useful when encountering certain people..." The red haired teacher says while giving a light smile at Harlem.
"Theoretically of course."

"Of course, Miss G. Of course."

Miss Gilbert wanders her eyes to Harlem ink covered arm. Her eyes brighten for a second.

"Harlem I didn't know you drew! It looks so cool!" She says as she inspects Harlem's arm with sparkling eyes.

"Ehh, it's ok." Harlem says awkwardly pulling his arm away, feeling a slight warmth on his face

"Now as much as I enjoy your art, I'm going to have to ask you to wash it off in the bathroom. Bad example to the students."

Sighing, Harlem gets up out of his seat and heads to the restrooms. But not without some lighthearted complaining.

———

"Come off, fuckin' hell." Muttered the pink haired boy who had been scrubbing for about 4 minutes.

He stares at the drawings on his arm refusing to come off.  He'd made little to no progress.

"Man, this soap is shit." Harlem says to no one but himself.

He decides it's probably better to wash it at home with better soap. He starts walking back to the classroom, hearing the bell ring on his way back.

First thing Harlem hears Miss G trying to calm the kids down, her attempts failing.
Second thing he hears is the annoying brats.
Damn they do need to shut up sometimes.

Harlem goes to kick open the door.
"Ayo be quiet or I'll shove these Tims up yo ass!" Harlem yells, his voice reverberates throughout the room as the class goes dead silent.

The classroom stays silent for a second.
Harlem can faintly smell the scent of piss.

"Thank you Harlem." say Miss Gilbert with a grateful smile. "Also is that Jennie again?"