Four: Gedeon

Chapter Four:

Gedeon

One month later...

In life, you could go into things with a plan, or blindly in hopes for the best.

Before I met Dove, I viewed life as a game of chess. Life is just one important choice after another. You have to make a move in order to have the potential of winning against your opponent. Knowing which move to make would come with knowledge. If you moved too hastily, you're bound to lose. You had to strategize and prepare for your enemy's next move in order to win.

Now? I was done waiting around.

"Tell me, have you ever played Russian Roulette before?"

Mateo watched as I withdrew a revolver I had tucked into my pants and then flicked open the chamber. His eyes watched me like a hawk as I produced one bullet from my pocket. The dim light allowed the bullet casing to shine before I slid the bullet into the revolver chamber with a loud click that echoed around the room.

I drew the revolver to my temples and pulled the trigger. It clicks, but the one loaded bullet doesn't come. "This revolver was a gift from my Father to my Mother," I informed him, slow and steady. "Now, it's handed to me. My Father, Zavid, was a sick fucker. But he knew what he was doing. It's why he was able to continue our empire. With each fire, the probability of it firing is 1/6th. You're a smart man, Mateo. You know the odds of it discharging becomes higher. By the sixth time, has a probability of one hundred percent, but it may fire by the second round...of even the third." A low chuckle rumbled out of me. "

"Look," he wheezed out. "I really don't know where Dove is. But I can give you anything you want. Please...just put me out of my misery and let me go."

Let him go?

I threw my head back and laughed at his begging. He had to be losing it if he were to think I would allow him to leave. He was crazier to think I'll let him die a painless death. He betrayed me, disrespected me, and had allowed my wife to be taken. He sold his daughter for protection, and he was abandoned with no help. An irony. I shook my head and snatched him by the collar before my fist landed straight at his jaw. He landed on the ground with a loud thud as he tried to flail under him. I took the revolver and shoved it onto his temple and fired.

But it doesn't go off.

I looked down to see that the weak fucker pissed his pants.

I tsked. "This would have been easier if you hadn't betrayed me."

"I don't..." he swallowed, trying again. "I really don't know where she is."

"Let me tell you, my dearest father-in-law," I began slowly. "In the one month since I stepped down and letting Zavid run the show while I was hunting down every single Italian I could get my hands on, I realized something. I realized that the closest bet I would have is with you. That's why I'm here. Every single Italian was just sworn in and used as live bait. So, I got smarter to hunt down the fucker."

He watched me as I circled him, tapping the revolver on my chin as I continued. "I started to research and really go after just about any of them for them to talk. I even went after your second in command. He was the one who actually said you knew more than you let on because you think you could fool me. But you didn't expect us to throw you into the back of my car and transfer you to somewhere no one can rescue you since they don't know the location now that we have intercept all forms of communication you have with the outside world. Do you have anything to say to that?" I turned to him, giving him my complete attention.