XLVIII

third person pov

george sat upright, his back pressed against blue velvety sheets. the king scoured through numerous scrolls and books that were scattered amongst the bedsheets.

he gripped the spine of a black leather back book, flipping through the pages at speed.

the sun seeped through the blue tapestries that hung by his large balcony window, to the left of the room.

"come on come on, give me what i want." the king muttered to himself, his wide eyes scanning the pages.

a rhythmic knocking echoed from the double doors across his bedroom, a low voice mumbled behind it.

"your highness? are you awake?"

"yes. come in, punz." george mumbled, not bothering to make eye contact as the hooded male entered the room.

punz stopped at the foot of the king sized bed, nodding his head at george in a respectful manner.

"are you here about y/n?" george mumbled, flicking a page with his left hand.

"yes- from what ive gathered last night, im not sure if theyre who youre looking for, sir." punz muttered, avoiding georges gaze.

the brunette stared blankly at the mercenary.

"well. tell me what they told you." the king demanded.

"they dont remember their childhood, they were in an accident that injured their head four years ago-"

george cut punz off, sitting up abruptly.

"four years ago? that was when we-" george reached for a book on his right side, opening it and flipping back a few pages, he dragged a finger down a few paragraphs, landing on one.

a smile crept onto georges face, his eyes flickering back up at punz.

"medical records of all the injured who left the kingdom four years ago."

"we found them." george grinned.

*~*~*~*

dream was bounding towards l'manburg on his trusted horse, spirit. the blond males mind was racing. he was fearful of the information that y/n told punz, and what punz would relay to george. but he was even more petrified about y/ns opinion of him, after he figured out they listened in on his conversation with george.

dream reached l'manburg, leaping off of spirit, not bothering to tie the horse to anything.

it was around noon as the masked man raced to y/ns place of residence.

the soles of his boots slammed against the cobbled path as he took a sharp turn down one of the numerous alleyways that littered the town. he eventually reached the back of the house, the sun reflecting off of the shingled rooftop.

with a curt nod to himself, the young male began scaling up the wall, clutching onto window ledges and vines that wrapped around the building.

dream hoisted himself up, finally reaching y/ns bedroom window. he kicked in the latch, as he had done a few days prior, and practically fell through the window, with a loud thud.

dream muttered a few curses under his breath.

he scanned the room, noting the made bed that sat close to the window. garnements and various fabrics scattered the floor, and lay on the bedsheets.

"y/n?" a muffled voice called out from down the hall, footsteps growing louder as they approached.

the spruce door swung open revealing a disheveled looking wilbur. he still adorned the clothes he wore to the ball the night before, they were more wrinkled and messy now.

the large eyebags that rested below his lash line were more evident as he stepped into the light. his hopeful, tired expression turning into one of pure rage.

the brunette launched himself forward, gripping onto dreams undershirt, pulling the blond up to his eye level.

"what the fuck are you doing here?" the older males voice was laced with venom.

dream chose to ignore the brunettes question, by asking one of his own.

"where is y/n." dream muttered calmly.

this made wilbur laugh, a short breathy laugh escaped his lips as he threw dream back, the blond landing against the white sheets of the bed.

"havent you done enough?" wilbur mumbled, facing away from dream.

the blond shook his head "im trying to protect them wilbur-"

"i dont believe that for a second- you know what you did-"

"what? you mean me going back to save them, so they wouldnt bleed out and die?" dream was getting irritated at this point, the masked man pulling himself up off of the bed.

wilbur turned around to face him, a look of disgust plastered onto his features.

"you wouldnt have needed to save them if you didnt explode half of the kingdom." wilburs eyebrows furrowed.

"what? with the explosives you sold to george? to protect your little l'manburg?" dream shook his head with an angered smile.

wilburs eyes widened for a moment, before he tried to swing at dream.

"dont pretend im the bad guy when you know we thought the castle was empty. when you were the reason george got in in the first place." dream caught wilburs punch with his hand, yanking the brunettes arm down at an angle, making him wince.

"but you didnt tell anyone that, did you?" dream clicked his tongue, pushing the taller male to the floor.

"good luck coming back from that, once y/n finds out." dream said coldly, before exiting through the window.

a/n- read this because i will be mentioning a few things!!
- im holding an art competition, if you didnt see my announcement on my message board. the prize is a tier 1 sub to any streamer of your choosing. the brief is to draw your favourite scene or character(s) from the book, you have until the 31st (if you need more time, let me know!)

- what is your opinion on multiple endings to the book, ive read a few comments and people seemed to like that idea

- please stop asking when the next update will be, most of you are amazing and respectful and i appreciated you but to the people who keep coming back to the last chapter ive posted and keep demanding me to update are making me not want to post. im a 19 year old with a full time job im doing my best. thank you.

vote n comment <33