"This is the bone forest gate" I watched the top of the large gate open in the center of the forest, "Its a way to fast travel"

Kuroguri set out the gate mat getting it set up as others came out of the forest. A suitcase like box was then placed. It had 3 compartments. The center had a circle with markings. To the left rows of ring holders. Finally on the right a bag filled with tokens.

This is a good learning experience for Keigo. I wait as one of the travelers sit on the mat.

"Pay attention. This is how mages travel. You see we have tokens we gather. We place them in the left compartment of the box. These tell our skill and achievements. Next we pull 2 new tokens from the bag without looking"

"Seems weird" Keigo raised a brow

"Its a way of passage. Also how we revive our next quest. See, he now holds the tokens while speaking an incantation. He is pledging to take on his quest"

"What if you can't do it?"

"You have to, you are magically bound to your word"

Finally he finished his incantation as a small portal opened on the back of the case. He gathered his tokens in his bag before touching the portal and vanishing.

"Where did he go?" Keigo looked bewildered

"To the portal in the center of the forest. This portal can't take you very far so you need the center one to get anywhere. This portal only goes so far"

"Ok better question, why are we here? To get a quest?"

"Yes" I watch the last mage set up

"So you don't know where you're going?"

"Getting a quest is...like a fortune. It's inevitable and will happen no matter where you travel"

"Oh ok, so its more like...an omen?"

"Yes" I smile seeing the understanding cross his features.

"Looks like the harvesters are out today" giri commented pointing out towards the mist.

Hovering above was a vined conglomerate slowly lowering into the mist.

"What is that?" Keigo questioned

"Grapes, this is how they make soul wine-" Giri started

"Yes, now is not a good time for questions" I interupt

As the last mage finished I finally pulled out my bag and put my tokens down. I try to keep my hand from trembling as I reach in the bag to grab my 2 new ones.

"Keigo, I'm going to use some of your power for this. Put your hand on my shoulder. This will ensure you portal with me"

He did so and it helped me feel at ease. I can do this. I speak my incantation and finish when I see the portal open. I quickly gather my tokens and touch the portal only for it to disappear.

No...no no no no. I look to see im in the same place. Giri and the travelers portal gone.

"(Y/N), what happened? We didn't move but everything is gone?" Keigo looked around curiously

Not again. I open my palm looking at my tokens. One is of a ribcage and the second a dog.

"Not again, God damnit!" I throw down the tokens feeling my eyes begin to sting

"What's wrong?" Keigo crouched down next to me

"I can't, I can't do this. Not again" I shake my head watching the mist momentarily, "Im not a bone mage" I feel the tears start to well up more before racing down my cheek