twenty nine. in my blood

Start from the beginning

Mackenzie sighed. "Our first real conversation in two months isn't going to be over charts."

Alex smirked. "Oh, so you want to have a real conversation with me?"

Mackenzie huffed. "That's not what I said. Now, shut up."

Of course Mackenzie thought about being friends with Alex...someday. They knew too much about each other to just become strangers. She didn't know if she was ready for a friendship yet, though. Maybe in a couple of months, but right now she needed to get rid of the remaining slivers of feelings she still had for him.

"Can we get back to the point?" Cristina interrupted them.

"You had a point?" asked George.

Cristina nodded. "Yeah, which surgeon are we gonna have to suck up to today?"

"That would be me."

Everyone turned around, stunned to see their original resident standing there.

"Dr. Bailey?" asked Cristina, surprised.

"I've been gone two weeks - two weeks - and you ran off two residents?" she asked them. "I've got people phoning me at home, screaming, telling me my interns are Rosemary's babies. Nobody wants you! Do you think I have time for this? I am pregnant! I'm supposed to be on bed rest. I'm supposed to be growing a human being. I'm supposed to be calm. Do I look calm to you? Did I raise you fools to be pariahs?"

Nobody said anything, but George went up to Bailey and gave her a hug.

"You're back."

"I'm not back. Get off me!" Bailey swatted at him.

Even though Bailey could be a pain in the ass, Mackenzie was inspired by her and didn't want anyone else as her resident.

The ambulance honked, signaling it was coming in. Bailey seemed to go right into work mode. "Yang, Karev, Grey, and Sloan, stay here and wait for the incoming case. O'Malley, page Addison Shepherd. Stevens, get a wheelchair."

The four of them ran over to the ambulance and once the doors opened, a woman was screaming...and wouldn't stop. Mackenzie pushed Meredith to the woman and let her take the lady inside. She was already getting a headache and although there was probably a good explanation as to why she was screaming, Mackenzie just wanted her to stop.

"Oh shit," mumbled Mackenzie as she looked at the paramedic.

The paramedics hand was in the guy's chest.

Mackenzie added that to her 'bad day' list.

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

After helping Burke prep the patient for the OR, she walked back into the ER with the screaming woman. Alex was standing there, staring at the woman. She had blood all over her.

"Can I slap her? Maybe that'll help," said Mackenzie.

Alex shrugged. "I'm surprised she hasn't passed out yet."

Cristina jogged over to them. "Burke says shut her up."

Mackenzie turned cold once Olivia came in the room, rambling about an incoming trauma. She didn't bother to pay attention, not wanting to be anywhere near her. She let Cristina and Izzie go for it. Yes, she'd rather be with the screaming woman than on another case.

"Ma'am. Ma'am!" Alex yelled.

Nothing.

He sighed and picked up her chart. "Mrs. Carlson, are you injured?"