fourteen. circles

[ 1x09 who's zoomin' who? ]

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

Mackenzie wasn't nervous because of the day full of work or impressing her bosses. She was nervous because tonight was her first date (or just getting 'drinks') with Alex since their breakup. They were almost inseparable in the hospital whenever they saw each other for the past couple of days. Nothing happened between them, but the tension was growing and they finally decided tonight was the night to go out.

She made sure her hair was curled just enough today as that was Alex's favorite hairstyle of her's. Although, she probably would end up putting it in a bun later. She just needed this day to be perfect.

The day started off wrong already when a familiar New York number called her. She knew it was her brother's, but when Addison's popped up she got worried.

"Finally. Where have you been?" asked Derek as he stopped pacing in the hallway.

Mackenzie rushed up to him. "Mark and Addison were calling me on the way here."

"Did you answer?" Derek panicked.

She shook her head. "No. Of course not. I think you should really tell Meredith, though. About Addison. I feel bad-"

"No no no," Derek interrupted her. "You promised me, okay?"

Mackenzie sighed. Derek's secret was eating her up every day and she didn't know how much longer she could keep it buried. She looked up at him and saw the plea behind his eyes. "Fine fine. Now, why did you page me?"

"Webber dropped a retractor in the O.R," he informed her. "You were in surgery with him earlier this week and there were rumors going around that you told him he was about to cut wrong."

She nodded. "Yeah. He was a bit off from the incision mark."

"You did the right thing," he told her. "Now, I just have to see what's really going on with him."

He went towards Webber's office door and motioned her along.

"Are you sure he wants me in there?" she asked.

"You'll be okay," Derek said.

Mackenzie composed herself and walked in with Derek. He closed the door behind them. Webber was at his desk, looking more stressed than usual.

"You dropped a retractor," said Derek. "And Dr.Sloan here informed me you were almost off on your cutting."

Okay, we're going right into it, Mackenzie thought.

Webber gave up. "Fine. A few weeks ago, I was operating, and the vision in my right eye became blurry. After a few hours it was fine. It's come back again."

"Did you have it checked out?" asked Derek.

"The examination was normal," responded Webber. "My opthamologist tells me I'm just getting older. But you know what a decline in my visual acuity can mean."