Part Twenty-Two: Newt

"I need you to listen to me." Teresa's voice called out. Both you and Thomas turned to see a screen on a billboard that said emergency announcement. "I know you have no reason to trust me, but I need you to come back."
"What's going on?" You mumbled to yourself, glancing back to Newt as he laid on the floor, breathing rapidly. You then looked back at Thomas.
"Thomas, you can save Newt. There's still time for him." She said and that made your heart flip. She knew? Of course she did, it's why she was looking at him on the stairs. But how can Thomas save Newt? "Theres a reason Brenda isn't sick anymore, it's your blood. Do you understand?"
"My blood?" Thomas muttered and then looked at you and you looked back.
"She isn't sick because, because you cured her." Teresa's voice echoed and you felt your mouth gape open slightly. "She doesn't have to be the only one. Think of (Y/n) and Newt. Don't you think they deserve to have a future? They can have that. All you have to do is come back and this will all finally be over. Please. Just come back to me. I know-"
Suddenly, all the lights in the city shut off and the emergency lights flicked on. The whole cities power must have gone out. You turned to Thomas and he turned to you, still trying to process anything. But you didn't need to process anything, not this time. You knew exactly what had to be done.
"Go." You said and the boy looked at you like you were crazy.
"What? No!" Thomas said but you shook your head.
"Thomas, you have to go back."
"You seriously believe her?" He asked and you took a deep breath.
"All I know is that even if we get him out of here safely, he'll never be free from the flare!" You told him. "He'll always need more."
"That's what Mary told me." Thomas mumbled and you nodded.
"But if she's telling the truth, then wouldn't it be worth it?" You asked and Thomas thought about it, looking over to Newt who was still laying on the floor.
"But what about you?"
"That doesn't matter!" You told him but he shook his head.
"Yes it does! I can't lose you! Ever since the first day in the Glade, you've been someone I can rely on, someone I can trust-"
"Then trust me now!" You told him and he was considering everything.
"But what if he wakes up not himself?"
"I can handle him." You assured but Thomas didn't look so sure.
"What if he kills you?"
"I won't let him." You told him.
"I can't leave you alone with him, I don't want you to kill him!" Thomas argued and that hit hard. That could be the price of your decision, but you were willing to pay. Though, you knew you couldn't kill him, no matter what, you just couldn't.
"I won't have to if you go now." You argued and Thomas looked at you, the gears turning in his head. "Please. I've only pleaded so many times in my life. Please, help me save him."
It was that single plea, the simple word of please, that convinced him. Thomas nodded his head and looked back at Newt behind you. Then, he turned around and ran back into the burning city. You walked forward and watched as Thomas disappeared into the smoke and in the direction of the WICKED building.
After a few seconds, you took a deep breath and turned back around but jumped when you saw a figure with his back faced to you. Your breath hitched in your throat as the boy stared out, not saying a word.
"Newt? Hey, look at me!" You called and slowly, the boy turned, facing you completely. You felt sick at just the sight.
Newt had the black liquid stained his teeth and chin. Strings of it dripped from his mouth and his face was covered in the raised deep black veins. He wasn't shaking anymore and his breathing had steadied, which scared you more than when it was deep and rapid. But nothing sickened you more than looking into his eyes.
The eyes of the boy that would once give you comfort had now turned dark and glassy. His brown doe eyes were gone and now only darkness laid. The boy you knew, those weren't his eyes. Newt's eyes were a deep rich brown that sent reassurance through you. These eyes were the eyes of a monster taking over a man, they sent waves of panic and fear through you. These eyes were dead and his stare sent a spear through your heart.
"Newt." You said, taking a slight step back. "Newt, it's me, it's (Y/n)."
The boy screamed a horrible high pitched Crank scream and changed at you, taking you by surprise. He latched on to you but you pushed him forward. You put your leg out and tripped the Crank, sending him tumbling to the floor. He rolled against the concrete but quickly found his footing again.
"NEWT!" You called but the boy grabbed you by the shirt and slammed you against a glass wall. You listened to it crack from the blow and then the Crank slammed you against it again, completely smashing it this time. You felt the sharp glass cut the back of your neck and you screamed out in agony, hoping that Minho or Gally heard so they knew to hurry up.
The Crank then took you and threw you to the floor. You didn't have time to react so you slammed into it hard, rolling over and clenching your teeth in pain. Suddenly, the Crank found himself on top of you, taking his fist and nailing you in the jaw. You took the blow and watched as blood sprayed from your mouth. You looked back and punched him hard. He was taken off guard and wailed in pain, but it didn't sound like Newt, it was too raspy and deep.
You rolled on top of the boy and held him by the shoulders.
"NEWT!" You screamed, trying to get to the man behind the beast. You knew he was still there, he had to be. But he didn't surface, only punched you in the gut and now rolled you over, finding himself on top of you again.
"NEWT, LOOK AT ME! COME ON NEWT, I KNOW YOUR IN THERE!" You shouted as you held the boy back. He was snapping his jaws at you like a rabid animal. "PLEASE, IM NOT TALKING TO A CRANK, IM TALKING TO NEWT! I KNOW YOUR IN THERE!" You shouted and the boy slowed down, his strong actions ceasing as he stared down at you. You watched as his eyes seemed to clear and you saw the boy again. You saw Newt. He looked back at you in pure horror as he looked down to see your blood on his hands, literally.
"(Y/n)?" He said quietly.
"Yeah, it's me." You said quietly and he began shaking in fear.
"I'm sorry." He mumbled. "I'm so sorry."
"It's okay." You told him but you watched as he clenched his teeth together and began breathing heavily again. Without taking his eyes off of you, Newt grabbed the gun from your holster and aimed it at his head, his finger over the trigger. You widened your eyes in horror.
"NO!" You screamed, smacking the gun out of the boys hand. Newt followed the gun with his eyes and you used that to your advantage. You punched the boy and sent him flying off of you and he rolled on the hard concrete floor.
The Crank came back, screaming in anger as he pulled a dagger out of a pocket in his pants. He turned to you and gripped it tightly in his hand. You felt your heart racing and sweat beading down your forehead as you watched the boy grip it tighter. You needed to stop him. You needed to get Newt back. You needed to say something that would make Newt strong enough to come back. Your life depended on it cause you weren't going to kill him.
"I LOVE YOU!" You blurted without thinking, tears streaming down your cheeks. Again, the Crank's eyes cleared and you saw Newt again. He looked at you shocked, and quite frankly, you were shocked as well.
"What?" Newt asked and you felt more hot tears roll down your cheek.
"I didn't say it before, but not because I didn't want to." You told him, distracting him from using the knife. "But because I was afraid. Afraid that if I said it, it would become real, and everything real for me falls apart or dies." You told him and you watched as he twitched, fighting his Crank urges.
"I..."
"But you know what?" You cut the boy off. "Everything falls apart and people die anyway so screw it all, because I love you Newt." You told him and you swear you saw an attempt at a smile tugging on his lips. "I. Love. You."
"You have to run." Newt mumbled.
"And from the moment I was brought to the Glade," You continued, ignoring him and you felt your hand brush against something in your pocket. "From the moment I held a knife at your throat, I didn't know it yet but I was in love."
"(Y/n)."
"There is so much history, so much chemistry, that we don't remember because it was stolen from us. But it was there. I only truly knew, only truly felt it, when you kissed me for the first time." You said loudly, trying to hide your sobs and tears streaming down your cheeks. "That's when I really found what love truly felt like."
"(Y/n), please!"
"And that future Newt, the one with the house on the beach and the parents watching the sunset over the ocean as their kids played in the sand? I saw that Newt. I saw it with you!" You told him and his expression softened. "Please, don't. Don't let this future die. Don't make me lose the only future I want."
"(Y/n)," Newt pleaded. "Please, run, I don't want to hurt you. I already have!"
"I can't."
"Please, run, get away from me!"
"I CANT!" You shouted, taking him off guard. "DON'T YOU GET IT? I CAN'T!"
"I CAN'T CONTROL IT!" Newt shouted, grip tightening on the blade in his hands.
"Yes you can, I know you can!" You told him but he shook his head. "Just a little longer, Minho will be back soon!"
"Not soon enough (Y/n)!" Newt shouted. "Kill me!"
"No."
"KILL ME!"
"NO!"
"KILL ME BEFORE I KILL YOU!" Newt shouted but you didn't move. You stayed standing in front of the conflicted boy.
"You know I can't do that Newt. I won't."
Newt shook his head vigorously and then, he looked up at the sky and screeched the horrid screech of a Crank. He then slowly lowered his head to meet eyes with you, except it wasn't Newt anymore. The Crank had fully taken over.
He roared at you and then charged, swinging his knife left, right, left, right. You backed up with every swing, but the knife inched closer with every attack. He paused for a spit second but then continued. Left, right, left, right.
It was that eighth swing that he pulled you into him and gripped you tightly. You watched as his head hung over shoulder and his eyes widened. His breath slowed and the two of you just stayed in that position for a minute.
Then, the boy collapsed in your arms.