Part Twenty-One: Time Runs Out

The loud sounds of explosions echoed through your ears as, yet again, you and Minho were dragging Newt through the raging battle. He was completely limp at this point and the black liquid that was once a trickle was now streaming down his chin. Newt coughed up a storm and the dark thick liquid spewed out. It sounded like he was chocking on it as it went down his throat.
Gally lead the way with his launcher while Minho took up the rear, waving around the beretta that he couldn't even use. Thomas glanced at you and you looked back with a worried expression.
"Hey!" Thomas called. "We're gonna make it, all of us!" He said and you looked down at Newt and then back to him. You gave him a nod and then you both looked forward, continuing on as fast as possible.
"Alright!" Gally called, looking back to you. "Newt, we're almost there!" Gally assured but Newt groaned.
"Just leave me!" He said with pain laced in his voice.
"Don't you dare say that, we aren't leaving without you." You told him flatly and Gally stopped. You didn't understand why until you heard the explosion that was then followed by the car that flew across the street. You jumped back slightly as the car hit another and the flames grew higher.
You all fell back from the force, Newt landing on top of you. He couldn't even push himself off of you, he was so weak. Minho pulled him off of you and Gally looked back to your group.
"Everyone get back!" He called out and you did. Once you were deep in the alley, you watched as a crowd of angry people came screaming through the streets. They held up their guns and shot at the sky.
The smoke filled up the streets and the flames gave the city an orange glow. You then heard the sound of a berg flying above you. You looked up and watched as the ship flew over the city, landing a few blocks away. You knew it was Brenda and Fry, you just didn't know who was flying it. Then it hit you.
"Jorge." You mumbled.
"What?" Minho shouted over the shouts and explosions.
"Jorge, that has to be him. He's the only one who knows how to drive a berg and I think WICKED is a little too busy to focus on flying." You all looked over and Newt attempted to get a good look, but he couldn't move much.
"I know where they're going." Gally told everyone. "There's an empty square in the city, it's the best and probably only place he'll be able to land it."
"Alright, then let's move." You told your group and Thomas tried picking up Newt but he pulled away.
"Go without me." He told you but you shook your head.
"I already told you, not happening. I gave you my word that Minho comes first, now you come first." You told him but he shook his head.
"I'm slowing you down, go!" He yelled and Gally tugged on your arm, pulling you away from the others.
"(Y/n), look at him." Gally told you and you did. You watched as Newt spewed up more of the dark liquid. The veins had almost completely taken over his face and his beautiful doe eyes were darkening. "He can't take much more of this, we don't know when he's going to snap."
"I know." You mumbled and then looked over at Gally again.
"We need a plan." He said and you looked back at the three boys. You looked at Minho as he put his hand on Newt's shoulder reassuringly. The former Runner...
Runner.
That's it!
"I have a plan." You said, turning back to Gally and taking him off guard. "But not everyone's gonna like it."
"That's normally the case." Gally told you. "But they trust you, and so do I."
You turned back with Gally and walked over to the three boys. They all looked at you and you looked back at them. Like you said to Gally, some people weren't going to like this plan, but it was all you could think of. You turned your attention to Minho.
"Min, I need you to go as fast as you can and get the serum."
"WHAT?" He exclaimed and you knew he was going to do that.
"Your the fastest one out of all of us, you have to get the Bliss." You told him and then turned to Gally. "Gal, I need you to-"
"Cover him, I've got you." He said, loading up his launcher. Minho shoved your shoulders to gain your attention.
"I'm not leaving him, I'm not leaving you." Minho said but you shook your head.
"You have to." You told him. "Besides, I'll have Thomas."
"I can't..."
"I can keep him at bay for as long as possible, but I can't work miracles. You have to go and you have to go now!"
"Minho, you know she's right." Thomas said but Minho scoffed.
"The hell she is!" He shouted, facing you again. "I'm not leaving you, not again! I just got you back!" Minho told you but you grabbed him by the shoulder.
"Minho, your my best friend, I wouldn't do this if I didn't have to."
"(Y/n)..."
"Do you trust me?" You asked him but he paused. "MINHO, DO YOU TRUST ME?!"
"Yes." Minho said after a long pause.
"Then you'll trust my judgment." You told him and he nodded. Before the boy could rise to his feet, Newt grabbed him by the arm. Again, his breathing was heavy and rapid, and his teeth were stained the horrible black color of the liquid in his mouth. Sweat dripped down his forehead and the circles under his eyes had darkened.
"Thank you." Newt managed. "Thank you Minho."
"Hey." Minho said, patting Newt's shoulder. "Just hang on, you hear me?" The boy never got an answer, he knew he wouldn't. Minho stood up and looked at you.
"I'll keep him alive." You told him but that wasn't what he was trying to say.
"Make sure to keep yourself alive too shuck face." He said, then he turned and followed Gally into the raging war behind you. Minho took one last look back and you nodded to him.
"Go Minho, go!" Gally said, aiming his gun left and right as they entered the smoke and disappeared from view.
You looked down to Newt as he stared off into the distance. You could tell there was more he wanted to tell Minho, more he had to say, but it was too late. That thank you, it was about more than just him getting the serum, you heard it in his tone. Minho has done so much for Newt, that thank you only scratched the surface of everything the blondie had on his mind.
Thomas looked out at the raging war while you bent down to meet Newt's view. The gears were turning in his head and he wasn't focusing on you or anything. Thomas looked down and Newt turned his attention to him. Thomas got the message but you didn't.
"(Y/n), check if the cost is clear please?" Thomas asked and you nodded, looking down at Newt and giving him a quick kiss on his sweaty forehead.
"I'll be right back." You told him and he nodded shakily, swallowing the black liquid building up in his throat.
You walked out to where Gally and Minho had ran off to and looked around the corner. The smoke was too think to see through but you knew the general direction you had to run in.
Bullets rang out and shouts echoed through but you couldn't see a thing. The smoke dried up your throat and made it sting. Your hair was drenched in sweat and strands stuck to the sides of your head. The smoked stained your skin and clothes, and for a second you thought about taking off your jacket like Thomas had, but you forgot. You got distracted by someone's screams.
"TAKE IT!" You turned around quickly and watched as Newt screamed in Thomas's face, handing him an item. "Please Tommy, please." Newt said as his eyes softened and you couldn't bare to watch this anymore. You ran over to them and Newt looked to you, his eyes softening even more.
"We have to go, we might be able to avoid the crowds if we go now!" You told them and Thomas nodded, shoving the object Newt had given to him in his pocket.
"Alright," Thomas said, taking Newt and resting his arm over his shoulder while you pulled out your beretta. "I need you to give me everything you've got Newt, you hear?"
"O-okay." The boy stuttered and then he looked at you. You looked back and nodded your head.
"I'm right here, okay? I'm gonna cover you guys." You told him and both boys nodded. "Alright, let's get out of here and lets get out of here alive." You told them, turning and leading them out of the alley. You heard Newt grunt in pain, obviously from the flare as it ate away at his body.
The three of you walked into the streets and smoke. With every step you took forward the more clear the streets became. The fire sucked up a lot of the oxygen, making it harder to breathe, but you pushed through.
You pointed your gun at everything that moved. At this point, you may have pointed the gun at your own shadow with how jumpy you were. You looked back at Thomas as he pulled Newt through the lit up streets. They were struggling but they were following.
You looked to your left and saw the broken glass of the building you had led Teresa through. You turned to the boys.
"We can cut through here!" You told them, ducking under the broken glass of the door. Thomas followed, Newt groaning as he tried his hardest to fight. It really just proved how strong he was. You kept your gun raised while Thomas trailed behind you slowly. You suddenly heard Newt gasping for air.
"Newt!" Thomas called and you whipped your head back to see the blondie fall out of the brunette's arms. "Come on man, stay with me!" Thomas said as he pulled Newt along the floor. You watched as he tried pulling the heavy boy across the smoke stained tiles and listened to him struggle. You put your gun back in its holster and came over to help. Thomas looked up at you as he fell with Newt on top of him.
"We aren't going to make it." Thomas said, sadness laced in his voice.
"Hey!" You said, lifting the boy to his feet, leaving Newt lying peacefully on the ground. You and Thomas stood face to face and you gave him a stern stare. You put both your hands on his cheeks.
"I can't..."
"You not alone Thomas, I'm right here! We are doing this together." You told him. "We aren't leaving him behind! You hear?"
"Yeah, okay." He said with a nod.
"We're gonna-"
"Thomas?" A voice echoed through the city, making both you and the brunette look out into the city. "Can you hear me?"
"Teresa?"