Original Edition: 52. The Gifts

Start from the beginning

I fall down against the door until I'm sitting on the floor; I put my knees against my chest. I know I need to bathe and sleep, but I can't find the energy to do it, I just want to stay here.

I take my cellphone out of my pocket and look at the dark screen. It ran out of battery few hours after I arrived at the hospital, and I wonder if Ares has sent me any messages. Maybe he's too busy celebrating New Year's with his family to notice my absence in messages, and I don't blame him, I haven't told him what happened with Joshua. My mind has been so focused on trying to understand and believe that this had really happened to my best friend that I was so absent-minded to send Ares a message. Then my cellphone died and I didn't want to tear myself away from Joshua to go charge the phone.

With slow steps, I go upstairs and take a hot shower. I can't deny that the water feels good on my skin and relaxes my tense muscles. Now that I'm a little more relaxed, I let the Greek god invade my thoughts.

I miss him so much.

These weeks have felt like an eternity, it's so disconcerting when you get used to seeing a person almost every day and suddenly you don't see them anymore.

There are still a few days before he comes back and I know it will be hard, especially now, when I would kill for one of his hugs, to feel him next to me, giving me security.

In my pajamas, I sit on the bed and plug in my cellphone to charge, anxious; I watch it turn on, the sounds of messages begin to echo throughout the room. Rocky is sleeping peacefully in the corner, the sounds of notifications don't seem to bother him at all.

Quickly, I open Ares' conversation, I have a lot of messages from him. I didn't expect that.

12:15 h

I was calling to wish you a happy new year, and you didn't answer.

12:37 h

Witch?

01:45 h

Why don't you answer the phone?

02:20 h

Did you fall asleep?

09:05 h

Raquel, I'm starting to get worried. Are you okay?

10:46 h

Shit, Raquel, I'm really worried now.

That was his last message.

I bite my lower lip as I begin to type a response; however, I can't even finish typing the first word right when my phone rings in my hand.

Calling Greek god <3

My heart doing its usual thing, threatening to burst out of my chest, I take a deep breath.

"Hello?"

There is a second of silence, as if he didn't expect me to answer, as if he was used to me not answering, but the seriousness in his voice surprises me.

"Where are you?"

"At my house."

"Look out the window."

And he hangs up. Confused, I stare at the phone. My gaze falls on the window, it's closed because of the cold; out there, it's snowing again. I get up and walk to the window, moving the curtains aside.

Ares...

There, standing on his patio. He looks a little tanned, in jeans and a black jacket over a white shirt. His black hair in that mess that suits him perfectly, just him. I'd like to say I'm getting used to seeing him; the depth of those blue eyes, the confidence of his posture, how beautiful he is, but I'd be lying, I don't think I'll ever get used to it, and even less now that I've gone two weeks without seeing him.