Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

 "No, no, no, this can't be possible. We can't be trapped, we can't-" I chocked out, barely able to speak. 

"Well, thanks to you and your over-active-button-pressing-self, we are," he spat sarcastically. "But it's alright, all elevator buttons have an emergency button," he sighed as he brushed his way past me. 

Moving to the control panel, he pressed a red button in the middle, and he jumped back in shock as it made another sharp sizzling sound. 

"Seriously, this is broke too? How cheap is this stupid fucking elevator," he cursed.

I rolled my eyes. Even in emergency situations, Nathan couldn't resist getting a jab in about how cheap my whole apartment block was. 

"I'll call the number on here, I guess," he mumbled as he pointed to the sheet taped to the wall. 

I heard rustling as he fished out his phone from his pocket. There was a long moment of anticipative silence before Nathan cursed lowly under his breath. 

"No fucking reception," he spat before angrily shoving his phone back into his pocket. He turned back to face me. "Check if you have reception," he ordered.

 If we were in another situation, I would have cussed him out for thinking he can order me to do fucking anything, but I was too much on edge to respond that way now. I nodded, then patted my back pocket for my phone, then I stopped when I found nothing. 

"It's at the stupid apartment," I groaned as I gave one of the walls of the elevator another aggressive kick. 

"Typical," he said drily.

"Excuse me for not having time to grab it before a self-righteous idiot decided to throw me over his shoulder like a fucking maniac," I bit back sassily.

He scoffed. "Well, I wouldn't have done that if you didn't throw a shitting spider at me," he yelled.

"And I wouldn't have done that if you weren't such a massive dick," I screamed.

I know my plan was to try and become his friend, which you know, involved playfully bantering with him and such, but I was in no mood to reel in my hatred for him.

He deserved to be yelled at. Thanks to him, I was now stuck in this metal box of death for an indefinite amount of time. It was my absolute worst nightmare come to life, and I was going to be forced to endure it.

My head started racing with more and more nervous thoughts until it felt like my whole brain was ringing. Before I knew it, my breaths started coming out more ragged and deep. Not knowing what else to do, I pressed my back against one of the walls and sunk down to the floor.

 Cradling my tucked-up legs in between my hands, I sunk my head down into my lap and started to recite the words, you're safe over and over again under my breath. 

In between the silence, I heard an awkward cough before footsteps drew closer. I stiffened slightly as I heard a heavy weight drop down onto the floor beside me.

I jerked my head up and swerved to face him. I was surprised to find his face visible despite the darkness which I soon realized was because he had his phone on torch mode to help illuminate the room.

"Why the fuck are you sitting next to me? Come to gloat that you managed to get me scared, huh?" I snapped over aggressively, my voice quivering slightly. 

Nathan stared at me in absolute silence. His eyes flickered back and forth between mine, shining with an emotion which dare I say it, looked like guilt. It couldn't be though, obnoxious rich monsters like him weren't capable of anything of the sort.