***

Alexei's gaze felt like a forbidden stroke of fire as they sought me from across the room. I had taken more time than usual getting ready. I wasn't sure if it was the nervous flutters playing ping pong in my belly making me want to delay seeing Alexei, or if I simply was trapped in my own gooey feelings for the man, I lost track of time.

My lips tingled from the memory of our last, heated kiss that happened outside the door of the cabin. I had expected Aella or Jamison to pull the door open and find us but once we entered the cabin, both of them had already been sleeping. Jamison had taken nest on the lounge seat and Aella was sprawled on the single bed.

Alexei's eyes darkened, as if reading my wayward thoughts.

He had stolen the seat at the table facing the room. I was certain the position had been strategic on his end. His impish grin only confirmed my thoughts.

Jamison had maps sprawled on the table, covering almost every inch of the wooden surface. Aella stood behind him, pointing to the red stars scribbled on the papers. "You said it was here you saw the changelings last?" She tapped a finger against a particular spot.

Jamison nodded grimly, "Three of them."

"Hmm, we'll definitely scout around there. I'm sure if we look close enough, we'll find something."

Jamison nodded just as his gaze shifted, meeting mine across the room.

He opened his mouth to speak but the words died in his throat as his nose flared. His gaze instantly shot to Alexei, seeking confirmation.

I froze, forgetting that Alexei's distinct smell had gotten stronger on my body, mingling with my own scent.

Jamison blinked, his gaze still bouncing between Alexei and I. His focus finally settled on Alexei, "I'm not sure if I should be congratulating you both or do the sign of the cross over my chest."

Aella smacked his shoulder, "Hey, that was rude."

I ignored him, finding a seat across from him. His gaze burned hot as I stole his mug of coffee, taking a sip. "This tastes like ass." I grimaced, swallowing the bitter taste. I wasn't a fan of the hot beverage if there was no milk or sugar.

His dark brow arched in response. "Have experience in that?"

"Wouldn't you like to know." I grinned, pushing his mug back across the table. He took an intentionally long sip of the hot liquid, shielding a smirk behind the ceramic.

"Let us know when you're done with the foreplay so I can finish explaining our task." Jamison muttered, flicking the map with emphasis.

I winced, turning my attention to Jamison who was already smartly dressed in his E.S suit. "Sorry Captain, I'm all ears now." I rotated on my chair so I wouldn't be distracted by a certain dark-haired male.

"Carry on." Alexei voiced from across the table, his baritone tickling the nape of my neck where I knew he was looking at, rather than the other Enforcer.

Jamison rolled his shoulders, making the material covering his collarbone tense over the jutting bone. "Thank you. Now, we'll have Aella in the front the group as we sweep along the side of the mountains since she has a better sense at knowing if they're close. I'll be at the back, keeping watch. Alexei and Pen will comb through the terrain between, on different sides. As it is daylight, the changelings shouldn't be an issue but remain alert. They're unpredictable. Pen, do you have your phone on you?"

I fished out my device from the inner lining of my jacket, sliding it onto his opened palm. "Just click to the app and it'll open automatically."

Jamison managed to get the tracker on the screen in less than a few seconds. We leaned close as we studied the blinking red dot on the map. Jamison pointed to the bottom right of the screen that was miles away from our target, "That there is where we're currently stationed. From the looks of it, the changeling is at least nineteen and half miles North-East on this map."