an hour later they spotted land – a long stretch of beach lined with high-rise hotels. the water became crowded with fishing boats and tankers. a coastguard cruiser passed on their starboard side, then turned like it wanted a second look. ivy guessed it isn't every day they see a yellow lifeboat with no engine going a hundred knots an hour, manned by three kids.

"that's virginia beach!" annabeth said as they approached the shoreline. "oh my gods, how did the princess andromeda travel so far overnight? that's like –"

"five hundred and thirty nautical miles," percy blurred out.

ivy blinked. "how the hell did you know that?"

"i– i'm not sure." he looked a bit self-conscious.

annabeth stared at percy, thinking. "percy, what's our position?"

"thirty-six degrees, forty-four minutes north, seventy-six degrees, two minutes west," he said immediately. then percy shook his head. "what the fuck?"

"maybe it's because of your dad," annabeth guessed. "when you're at sea, you have perfect bearings."

ivy cracked a smile. "now we have our own personal gps. where's the nearest prada store?"

before percy could tell her if he did know where there was a para store, tyson tapped his shoulder. "other boat is coming."

ivy looked back. the coastguard vessel was definitely on their tail now. its lights were flashing and it was gaining speed.

"we can't let them catch us," percy said. "they'll ask too many questions."

"i don't think the mist would help us much here," ivy nodded.

"keep going into chesapeake bay," annabeth said. "i know a place we can hide."

ivy pursed her lips, knowing exactly where annabeth wanted to take them, she didn't know if she felt comfortable visiting a place that had once been luke's. percy risked loosening the flask cap a little more, and a fresh burst of wind sent them rocketing around the northern tip of virginia beach into chesapeake bay. the coastguard boat fell further and further behind. they didn't slow down until the shores of the bay narrowed on either side, and ivy realized they'd entered the mouth of a river.

"there," the daughter of athena said. "past that sandbar."

they veered into a swampy area choked with marsh grass. percy beached the lifeboat at the foot of a giant cypress.

vine-covered trees loomed above them. insects chirred in the woods. the air was muggy and hot, and steam curled off the river.

"come on," annabeth said. "it's just down the bank."

"what is?" percy asked.

"just follow." ivy said, grabbing a duffel bag. "let's cover the boat, maybe we'll get to use it later."

after burying the lifeboat with branches, they followed annabeth along the shore, their feet sinking in red mud.

ivy caught heard the chilling hiss of a snake. she shrieked, backtracking on her steps, "no, no. i'm not going in there if there's snakes."

percy tried to pull her along, glancing at annabeth he asked, "she's not going to move, is she?"

the brunette had her eyes screwed shut, her hands clasped on her ears, and her feet digging on the ground.

"nope." annabeth deadpan.

sighing, the son of poseidon stood in front of ivy, bending down to be on her eyes level. "ivy."