TWENTY FOUR

Update 24
Word count: 1840

The wedding night came soon.
All the preparations were already managed but Navya's parents were still in stress. Of course. They were giving their daughter. So they were involving themselves in all the activities.

Maa Baba and Nandini's parents were also helping them. The elders were busy with rituals and welcoming the guests where as we were occupied with the couple's. It was their day. They had to be prepared for the big event too.

"You won't look more uglier if you look at the mirror again Cabir. Get going." I said getting irritated. This man was taking more time than Navya.
Aryamann and Abhi were with Smaran.

"When it's your turn, then I'll see how much of a saint you'll be." He mocked as I rolled my eyes.
"Guys Smaran is ready." Aryamann said barging into the room.
"Get him. I'll go and check that idiot." I said as he chuckled.

I hugged Smaran and wished him good luck. He warmly smiled and nodded his head. I got a call as I came out of the room.
"Hello." I answered it.
"You've got the next project Mr.Malhotra. And as per Ms.Murthy's request, you'll be the senior manager instead of her. We're going on with the same team." John said and I thanked him.

I cut the call and looked at Nandini who was standing infront of me. She wore the red sari that we had bought together. And I was in my white kurta and red pyjama.

"Hope John cleared everything." She sounded professional.
"Uh-yeah." I said after stopping my gawking session. She looked beautiful.

"And make sure you ace it this time too." She said and I gave a small smile.
"Nandini." I called and she turned back.
"Can we talk?" I asked and she looked puzzled.
"I don't think there's anything to talk." She said in a cold voice.

I was never used to this side of her. She always used to pamper and pester me. And now suddenly, I didn't know what to do to make things right between us. Or maybe according to her, there was no US.

"Manik?" She asked.
"Yeah, sorry." I said coming back to earth.
"Nevermind. It's over now. And we're mere strangers. Anyways, have a good time." She said and moved away. I looked at her going back to her parents.

They were going to talk to her but she shut them off. Then, she went to Maa and Baba. All three of them smiled and she came towards the mandap. The priest asked to bring the brides and their partners.

I nodded as Maa signalled me to bring Cabir. I went to his room and literally dragged him out. Abhi brought Smaran with him while Aryamann stood beside Nandini. They were giggling and when her gaze fell upon me, her smile faded.

It hurt so much. Faking a smile, I lead Cabir to the mandap. Then, the girls brought Navya and Inaaya.

Kaisi teri khudgarzi
Na dhoop chuney na chaanv
Kaisi teri khudgarzi
Kisi thaur tikey na paanv(×2)
As we brought the couples to the mandap, they sat in their respective places. I stood aside, looking at their happy faces.
And then I glanced at Nandini who was smiling. She noticed me, staring at her and then she shifted her place near Maa.